Social Icons

17 Dec 2014

What's Up Wednesday




What's Up Wednesday is a weekly feature created by Jaime Morrow and Erin L. Funk. Perfect for readers and writers who want to share what they've been up to on a weekly basis and right now the place to share your goals.

WHAT I'M READING

I've been re-reading some late childhood/early adolescent favourites.  When I was eleven I discovered Spooksville by Christopher Pike.  I had a few books but I gave them up after thinking I was much too old for them.  But then I saw that they had made a TV series loosely based on the books.  While it takes out two of the main characters, my favourites too, and creates new stories for the characters it rekindled how much I loved the series.  The books are quite cheap online so I bought some for my kindle and some paperback.  They're very short so I've been getting through them quite quickly.  Definitely remembering why it was one of my favourite series.  It sparked so much inspiration for writing when I was younger.
 

I also finished reading The Neverending Story on Monday after trekking through. Overall I enjoyed it and I loved the concept.  Got me just as hooked as the film did.  That being said I can see why the film only took aspects of the first part of the book.  It really does feel like two plots in one.  Full review to come.WHAT I'M WRITING (+ ONE WRITING GOAL)

Fiction-wise, nothing.  Although with it being Christmas I'm hoping I can use the holidays to get a lot of work and planning done and maybe, hopefully, squeeze in a bit of writing.  Reading Spooksville has sparked inspiration for the NA WiP I started working on this year.  The characters were all taken from an old series I used to write in the style of Spooksville.  I'm not planning on getting it finished, just to work on it a bit more.  Even if I only have time to write one more chapter.  I think that can be my writing goal.  Write a new chapter.
 
WHAT WORKS FOR ME


When I've got lectures, I've taken to getting in quite early.  I try to get there for about seven and do some work because it's nice and quiet for a couple of hours in the campus library.  I went there to do one essay after spending the whole weekend trudging through it and not getting many words done.  In the two hours I was in the library I finished the whole thing.  So, I'm gonna try it one time for my WiP.  See how productive it makes me then.  I get way too distracted at home.  I really need to start considering going to Costa or the library when I have a home day just for writing sessions. 
 
WHAT ELSE IS NEW


I finish semester one tomorrow! *Throws confetti around* Can't believe we're nearly halfway done with the course already. Think everyone is in need of a rest.  The girls on my course, and myself, are currently a plagued bunch.  Good news is our afternoon lectures have been cancelled tomorrow so we get to finish at 1 O'clock and hopefully we'll all be well enough to have our course meal together at Nandos.  

And my tattoo is all healed up. =D  I haven't got a current picture of it but I've got one from when it was freshly done.  I ended up with a much bigger one than I had intended to go for and got it on my left upper back.  I've already got another in mind but I'm not rushing into it.  If I still like this other idea in a year's time I'll get it done. 

Now I'm going to look forward to Christmas because it's my favourite time of the year.  The flat is decorated, I've wrapped a couple of presents already because the tree just doesn't feel complete without presents underneath and the Christmas baking has started.  

So... what's up, doc? :)

16 comments:

  1. Yay for completinh your first semester!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Throws confetti* Definitely time to celebrate and rest for now! ^^

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you have a lot on your plate. Congrats on being able to juggle it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've ever been so busy! Apparently not even being an actual qualified teacher is as life consuming, haha. :)

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on finishing your first semester. That's a pretty tattoo. Have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for finishing up your semester! :D Hopefully you can all rest up and feel better soon! I've often thought that removing myself from all the distractions of my house would maybe yield more productivity. It has worked in the past when I was still in university. Might have to actually consider it again. Hope you have a very Merry Christmas, Robin! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're distracted at home like me, it could work! :) I might give into stereotypes and go for the coffee shop as well. Sounds perfect to write in Costa with a hot mocha in this weather! ^^

      Delete
  5. Hooray for nearly being free of uni! Enjoy the break. Sounds well-earned. And good luck with your writing goal.

    Have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoop! Don't get me wrong, I've been loving this experience. Just getting used to all the paperwork and fiddly things.

      You too!

      Delete
  6. Such a gorgeous tattoo! Love it.

    Merry Christmas, Robin. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! ^^ So pleased with it. It's healed very nicely and quickly, and the tattoo artist was really nice.

      Merry Christmas to you too! :)

      Delete
  7. There was some interesting discussion on PubTalkTV yesterday about NA. (In case you didn't know, PubTalkTV is a new online Google Chat event organized by Jessica Sinsheimer, featuring agents and writers. They talk publishing, answer questions, drink alcohol, and do silly stuff. It's quite entertaining and informative. Check it out: http://pubtalktv.com/.) The agents admitted to not really being sure what direction NA's going, but they were agreed it needs to go *somewhere*. No-one said it, but I know the reputation NA already has is that it's essentially YA but with steamier romance. There's only so much room you can give to that before it all becomes Mills & Boone and people lose interest. They're definitely looking for someone to do something different with the genre--but no-one was willing to suggest what.

    All the best with your writing, and I hope you have a wonderful, relaxing Christmas, getting recharged for next year. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo I'll have to go and have a search for it! Sounds interesting. I was talking with a friend about NA quite a while ago. While we're interested in the genre, there's not a lot of variety. Like you said, it's all steamy romances which isn't really my thing yet I'll probably have to give it a shot in order to fully understand how to write NA.

      Personally, I think it needs variation. Easy said than done I guess but it would be good if writers started to pitch NA sci-fi, horror, mystery... too many people have already set it as a market for purely romance and as a result every blurb I read sounds the same. Of course these pitches need to be taken on by agents and publishers but, hey ho. Let's see if writers succeed. :)

      Delete