Social Icons

13 Aug 2014

What's Up Wednesday

What's Up Wednesday is a weekly feature created by Jaime Morrow and Erin L. Funk. Perfect for readers and writers who want to share what they've been up to on a weekly basis and right now the place to share your goals.

1) What I'm Reading
I finished Cress! No, really, I did! Taking more time to read made me realise how much I've been missing sitting down and reading.  Overall, I really enjoyed Cress.  Everything is kicking off, secrets have been exposed, we have more awesome characters in Cress and an introduction to Winter and her love interest Jacin.  I am so excited for Winter next year!

2) What I'm Writing
Still trekking through Inside the Broom Closet, editing longhand. 

3) What Else I've Been Up To
Just back from the little holiday to Kent.  Thanks to horrible weather we didn't get to do most of the place we wanted to visit.  We went into London a couple of times, visited Howletts Wildlife Park and saw the most adorable baby monkey ever! I'm a complete softie for animals.  I absolutely love them.  When I was a kid I was desperate to be a presenter on The Really Wild Show just so I could meet animals.  We went to Leeds Castle for Go Ape, which does tree top climbing and zip lining.  So much fun! I'm still aching and covered in bruises but it was an amazing experience.  We were going to go into the castle but the prices were ridiculous and we'd already paid for Go Ape so we left that in the end.
Challenge a cinema employee to an arm wrestle for a free ticket.

I also took part in GISHWHES this year, which was the craziest thing I've ever got involved in.  Yes,
Suck blood from a doughnut. It's still jam!
even crazier than the zombie runs I take part in.  I met some incredible people who were absolutely legends getting tasks done.  I probably won't take part next year just because if things go to plan I'll be busy planning for my NQT year and getting my first ever classroom sorted.  But it was an experience and I've put up a couple of photos of the challenges I had to do.

 4) What Inspires Me Right Now
During my stay in Kent, Pete and I went into London to see a play.  Ghost Stories was truly terrifying! I can't reveal a lot of the plot because the creators want the audience to keep it secret for future viewing but it revolves around three spooky stories that all connect.  It had tension, jumpy moments, funny moments, audience interaction.  People actually screamed.  I screamed quite a few times! It was the best horror I've seen in a while and completely inspiring.  It reminded me how well horror actually fits in the short story.  I quite like spooky stories that are snappy and straight to the point.  It works well.  So after watching Ghost Stories, I'm itching to write some horror short stories.  I've done one before which got published in an anthology and had so much fun writing it.  I'm saving the review for Halloween so keep an eye out! 

3 comments:

  1. Glad you had such a great trip and GISHWHES sounds like it was amazing :D

    Best of luck with the editing!

    Man, The Really Wild Show. That brings back memories ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? That was one of the shows I watched religiously as a child. Back in the days of awesome children's television"

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you had a great holiday, really cool, and good to see you again. Best of luck with the longhand editing.

    ReplyDelete