Social Icons

14 Jul 2014

Ready. Set. Write: Aging Up!

Ready. Set. Write! is a summer writing intensive that is hosted during the months of June, July, and August by Jaime Morrow, Erin Funk, Alison Miller and Katy Upperman.  If you want to participate you come up with your own writing goals for those three months and check in with a short update every Monday.  This year RSW starts today until August 25th.

HOW I DID ON LAST WEEK'S GOALS:
  • Chapter 5 of Inside the Broom Closet. (Didn't make this week.) 
  • Reach 10k on Camp NaNo WiP. (Check)
MY GOAL(S) FOR THIS WEEK:
  • Chapter 5 needs to be done for ItBC so I'll keep going with that and make sure that goal is achieved this week.
  • Reach 15k on Camp NaNo WiP.
THE BIGGEST CHALLENGE I FACED THIS WEEK:
Winging it for Camp NaNo and also trying to get all writing done with yet another cold and recovering from school trips.  It meant I decided to focus on NaNo so I wasn't pushing myself too much.

A FAVOURITE LINE FROM MY STORY OR ONE WORD/PHRASE THAT SUMS UP WHAT I WROTE/REVISED:

This one is from the Camp NaNo WiP seeing as I don't really have anything new from ItBC:



Darren shrugged. “I dunno.  The whole thing is odd.  Like these random attacks where people seem to be getting mauled by something.  I get a weird feeling on that campus.”
 
SOMETHING I LOVE ABOUT MY WIP:
I'm trying out NA with this NaNo WiP.  Originally it was supposed to be set in high school but I liked the idea of writing about new university students who discover their new town is a little bit on the supernatural side.  I like having characters who are still considered young and are still teenagers at 18/19 but are also at a stage where they've got more freedom and independence.  And I feel like it'll be more acceptable to have these characters going out to pubs and drinking alcohol because for most it is a natural part of their student life.
 

5 comments:

  1. There is definitely an appeal to writing teen characters that are out of high school. Writing NA is tempting for sure! Sorry to hear you were sick this week. Boo. I hope you're feeling better! Congrats on reaching 10K on your NaNo project! Hope you have a great week! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the idea of your NA novel. Anything with drinking is good in my book! Hope you get over that cold quickly

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a week where I spent more time with my WiP than I did my revision. It happens and you'll get back on track next week! I have full confidence! Also, this: "...about new university students who discover their new town is a little bit on the supernatural side." LOVE this premise! Good luck with your writing and all the things this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the sound of a university campus setting! Good luck w/this week. =)

    ReplyDelete