Social Icons

28 May 2014

What's Up Wednesday

What's Up Wednesday is a weekly feature created by Jaime Morrow and Erin L. Funk. Perfect for readers and writers who want to share what they've been up to on a weekly basis and right now the place to share your goals.

1) What I'm Reading
Or rather what I haven't been reading.  For shame on me.  Honestly, Cress is a great book so far.  I love it and I love the whole series so far.  It's just been pushed down to the bottom on priority list while other things have risen to the top.

2) What I'm Writing
Now this I can write a lot about.  I've been doing the second draft of rebellious witchy story, writing up a short story on zombies, and going over an old series I started writing as a teen which I'm just revising and rewriting for myself as the moment.  It's something I'm not exactly sure about getting published in the future.  But it was one of the first things I ever worked on and I suddenly got back into the whole world and the characters at Easter and been working on it ever since.  The stories were really short too so it hasn't taken long.  I'm also hoping to squeeze some time in for Beast Inside.  It's a stage closer writing wise and I wanna keep going on it! Really work towards making this year I get it finally ready for querying!

3) What Else I've Been Up To
Half term began last Friday and up until yesterday I was in Darlington celebrating Pete's sister's 18th and spending time with his family.  It was my first every motorway trip too! I'm still digging driving.  It's so amazing! We're already planning a couple of summer holiday trips!

More maths revision too! Fun times! I have the test on Saturday and spending every single day doing a practice test and making more notes.  On the plus side I'm passing these practice ones now so maybe this time I'll actually get the mark I need.  I was two marks away from passing last time.  How annoying!

I've also taken up another hobby.  I'm seriously into craftiness at the moment.  I'm sewing, making my own cards, and now I've got back into drawing.  It's something that's been quite relaxing at night and it reminds me of the awesome Art GCSE days where we constantly hung around in the art building working in our sketchbooks.  The teachers were awesome.  They always had their doors open so we could come in, hang around and draw.

4) What Inspires Me Right Now
Getting back into an old project has been quite inspiring.  It's nice working on something that I don't feel I need to rush.  I'm really pushing Beast Inside because that's always been the first story I thought I had a chance at publishing with and a story I didn't think was silly to try and share.  This old project I started writing as a teenager isn't perfect.  It's rubbish at times (lots of times) but it's been sort of a way to chill out and enjoy writing for fun.  It's something I probably wouldn't want to see on shelves but it's been nice working on a world and characters I know a lot about and really loved at one point.

Also the playlist is inspiring.  It's full of  70s and 80s songs which is strange because the stories aren't even set in the 80s but they all suit the story and it keeps me writing.  It's a very long playlist but here are a few of the songs:
 Fright Night - J. Geils Band


Cherry Bomb - The Runaways
 

Shadows of the Night - Pat Benatar
 

 Life on Mars - David Bowie
 

20 comments:

  1. I've read CINDER and just got SCARLET, but I haven't started it. I keep pushing it down, too. I think it's because I know there is going to be a fourth book coming out and I want to wait and marathon it. Good luck with your WIP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I feel like doing that too sometimes because I know I'm going to love this book and won't be able to wait until next year for Winter. I'd read the first two Divergent books back to back and it was painful when I had to wait to read the third.

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad the writing is going well, and that you're finding time to be crafty on top of it. Sounds lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm totally digging being all creative at the moment. It's letting off so much steam!

      Delete
  3. I read CRESS last week and loved it! So good. I'm excited for the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you're very busy! I hope you continue to enjoy Cress when you find more time to read - it's one of my favourite reads of the year. :)

    I think it's great that you've found passion for an old project. Some of the first things we write might not be perfect but they're special to us in their own way, and I think it's great you've found a way you can write and relax simultaneously. :D

    Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's brought back so memories for sure because I used to share these stories with my friends and they were always so supportive with what I wrote. :) Terrible writing but great nostalgia!

      Delete
  5. Wow, you have had a productive time with your writing, Robin! There's nothing like pushing toward a goal to motivate you, and being ready to query this year is a great goal. All the best with BEAST INSIDE revisions. :)

    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think when you reach that stage of giving it to other people to read and knowing that the next step after that is trying to get an agent and selling the story you desperately want to push yourself. You want to keep yourself going because it feels so close! I think we've all done amazingly this year. :)

      Delete
  6. Oh, I do love to listen to Life on Mars ^_^ Such an amazing song.

    Getting back into an old idea and its world sounds lovely. Enjoy!

    Eeeeeeew maths! Good luck with your revision. And enjoy the rest of your half term holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bowie is a classic! Love him! =D

      Haha, I have the same reaction to maths! It is very much ew. I'd rather have letters than numbers. ^^

      Delete
  7. Good luck on your upcoming test! I'm sure you'll ace it. :-) It's cool that you're revisiting an old project too. I love doing that myself because it surprises you on so many levels: you can see how you've improved as a writer, but also you find some hidden gems that make you love it all over again. At least, that's what I often find. Have a wonderful week all around, Robin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been the same for me. I really don't like how I wrote everything but I had characters, plots and a world which I put a lot of effort into and loved. And reading it all again reminded me why I wanted to write these stories in the first place which I guess is a key to sticking with your projects. :)

      Delete
  8. I need to read the Cinder books; I had the second one on audiobook and I don't think I ever finished it; certain audiobooks don't work for me, like fantasy. For some reason I tune out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoy them. I love the mix of sci-fi with fairytales. It works well and you feel like you're enjoying the tradition tales you're familiar with an original twist. Great read! I really recommend the series. :)

      Delete
  9. I love rediscovering an old idea! The MG book I've just finished revising is based on the first novel I wrote. It's sometimes good to have a fun side project as well as your main one.

    I did Art GCSE and I remember practically living in the art room when it got close to the deadlines! I've recently started painting/drawing again too, even though I'm out of practice. It's been fun!

    Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shows you that you should never fully give up on something! =D The story might not work but always keep it to the side. I've found that some projects I've written and left alone for a while suddenly click into place. :)

      I felt so out of practice with art. I've had to buy drawing books and find online tutorials for hints and tips.

      Delete
  10. Hi, Robin. Ugh, math! I'm not a fan of math. Good luck with all the practice and study. You'll do great!

    Happy reading and writing! from Laura Marcella @ Wavy Lines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always been more of an artsy/English kinda of girl. :) Never liked maths. I was rubbish at in school!

      Delete