Social Icons

23 Apr 2014

What's Up Wednesday

What's Up Wednesday is a weekly feature created by Jaime Morrow and Erin L. Funk. Perfect for readers and writers who want to share what they've been up to on a weekly basis and right now the place to share your goals.

1) What I'm Reading
Finished Vicious and now onto Cress by Marissa Meyer.  I love the take on Rapunzel and the character already.  I just love this series all together.  The sci-fi fits in perfectly with fairy tales and all the characters are awesome.  Can someone please make this into a film? And can someone please go back in time to fetch a younger Nathan Fillion so he can play Thorne?

2) What I'm Writing
I finished the 3rd draft for Beast Inside at 61,336 words.  I'm finished working on the story and plot, it has exactly what I wanted from it.  Now it's just to check through - grammar, voice, keeping in character etc and then I think it's time start looking for beta readers! Maybe it'll be ready for a proper query for WriteOnCon this year!

I also started working on the second draft of my witch project.  And I needed to use the last few days of the holidays to finish up a short story I want to enter for the British Fantasy Society short story competition.  Here are the details for the comp if anyone else is interested!

3) What Else I've Been Up To
Lots more maths revision, celebrating four year anniversary with Pete, getting back into the routine of work, and... I passed my driving test last Wednesday! WHEEEEEEEEE! I can't wait to drive to places! I'm already making a huge list on the places I want to visit and when my car comes we're celebrating with a trip to our favourite Fish and Chips restaurant that we usually can't get to without going with my family and pinching a ride of somebody.  But I can drive us there now! YAY! If anyone has any places to recommend visiting around the UK let me know!

4) What Inspires Me Right Now
 Vicious inspired me as I was reading it.  I started re-watching Misfits at the same time and now I want to write about superheroes! Fiction needs more superheroes!

4 comments:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Driving is the best, isn't it? Once you start, you never want to stop. Places to visit, huh. Aaaah, Brighton? ;) Although do be warned that parking is extremely expensive and I'd best leave off there before I go on to some kind of epic Brightonian rant :P

    *waves hand* Me! Me! I VOLUNTEER AS BETA!

    Oooh, WriteOnCon! Hadn't even thought about that yet. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parking is ridiculous in Leeds as well. Very few places to park and incredibly expensive.

      Haha, thanks for being brave enough to volunteer! ^^

      Delete
  2. Welcome back to the blogsphere, and CONGRATULATIONS, Robin!! I know you're excited to be driving. People outside the UK probably don't appreciate how much of an achievement getting a license is over there. I learned to drive in the US, but I know what kinds of things you get tested on in the UK (thanks to a couple of driver friends at University--one who even dared to let me have a go in his car). I'll be the first to admit that the driving skill required to pass a test in the US would never have earned me a license in the UK. You have every right to feel very pleased with yourself, Robin. :)

    Places to visit? York. Hereford, and the Welsh countryside. Cardiff (a.k.a. Who-land). For a country the size of the state of Oregon, there's a LOT of places to visit in the UK. You could literally spend the rest of your life driving and sight-seeing, and never have to cross a body of water larger than the Severn! :)

    Congrats on the progress you're making with BI! I'd also like to humbly submit my name as a potential beta reader.

    Have an awesome week! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that American driving tests aren't as scary as the UK and there's not as much to do. I was pleasantly surprised with my route. Tests are only taken on weekdays and avoid rush hour traffic so it was pretty calm and the examiner chose one of the less chaotic routes. So I had little traffic and quieter streets in my favour. I probably would have failed if I had got one of the dreaded Cross Gates routes.

      York is at the top of my list as soon as I'm used to the car and I've had motorway lessons! Cardiff too! I want to visit The Doctor Who Experience!

      Thanks for offering to beta! =D

      Delete