Social Icons

3 Mar 2014

Writer Recharge: The Last Update

For the whole month of February I took part in Writer Recharge.  Hosted by Elodie, Katy, Sarah, Liz, and Alison, the idea was to keep all us writers who took part motivated in the short month of February to work on any writing or lifestyle goals.  I decided to have a go, wanting to speed up my editing which was starting to slow down again.  Annoying because I knew I was near the end of these revisions.

My goals:
  • Start planning for April Camp NaNo.  I have a horror short story I'd love to work on.
  • Complete the 2nd Draft of Beast Inside.  Just a few more chapters I need to write and I hope to do this by the end of the month. 
  • Write every day.  Even if it's just a little bit.  I want to be in that habit of taking the time to sit and write. 
How I did overall: 
I made enough plans for the short story I want to write this year.  I didn't get round to writing a brief beginning, middle, and end but that's fine.  Towards the end of the month I decided that I'll have to put Camp NaNo on hold for now.  I've ended up booking my maths test for that month and then was asked to book my driving test for April too.  So I'm going to be very stressed out for most of that month.  When the tests are over I'm probably going to want to chill out for the rest of April.

Second draft of Beast Inside is all completed! I'm pleased with the changes I made to the story and how it all worked out so now that I'm satisfied with the plot my next round of revisions can focus on other things like character, voice, some extra chapters etc.  I haven't really looked at it since I finished, wanting a short break on it before I start getting it all on the computer. 

I didn't write every day in February but every week I'd have a day or two where I didn't write and focus on other priorities.  I used my lunch break for most writing which was quite a productive time for writing.  I guess you get on with writing quicker when you know you only have a certain amount of time.  It definitely worked for me.

I want to thank the team that created Writer Recharge.  A big thank you to Elodie, Katy, Sarah, Liz, and Alison for creating a project that gets writers together and cheer each other on as we focus on our writing goals.  I think we've all done pretty well this month and it's been a great motivation.  Hope you consider this again! =D

5 comments:

  1. Yay! Well done, Robin--looks to me like you completed your goals. Okay, so you didn't write *every* day, but you claimed your lunch break for writing which clearly worked out well.

    I don't envy you your April. Maths and driving tests! Yeah, you'll need a break... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome month for you! And NaNo ALWAYS falls at a bad time for me. So, I make my own NaNo months. You can totally do May. Good luck with that math test and the new story! And thank you for joining us for Writer Recharge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for progress!!! Every little bit counts. Hope you continue keeping up with all your goal! Good luck! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sometimes use lunch break for writing and am amazed how much I can get done. My issue is then I don't want to stop! I'm guessing camp Nano is another Nano drafting month--I've only done the big one in November. I hope you manage tokeep going on your write every day goal :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for joining us - it sounds like you had a very successful month even if you didn't quite hit every aspect of your goals. Take a deep breath and prepare for April - sounds like you've got a busy couple of months coming up.

    ReplyDelete