Social Icons

19 Mar 2014

What's Up Wednesday

What's Up Wednesday is a weekly feature created by Jaime Morrow and Erin L. Funk. Perfect for readers and writers who want to share what they've been up to on a weekly basis and right now the place to share your goals.

1) What I'm Reading
I'm still being very slow with reading overall this year.  Luckily it's got nothing to do with what I think of Vicious.  It's a great book and even though I'm taking my time reading I'm enjoying every single part of it, even with how it goes back and forth from the origins of Eli's and Victor's superpowers to where they are now ten years later.

2) What I'm Writing
I'm getting my second draft all typed up on the computer and over the last I also wrote a short story that I'd like to enter in the British Fantasy Society Short Story competition.  It's a bit of a mix of genres.  The idea fits into science fiction but I couldn't help throw in horror.


3) What Else I've Been Up To
Back to crafting! I'm making an iPad cover but it's on hold until I get a sewing machine.  Hand sewing doesn't last and my stitching is already coming off.  I'm hoping that a sewing machine will help get things looking a little more professional and stop it from coming apart.  My little owl toy is also losing his wing. =(

Also tried out making two new things cooking wise.  I've done lemonade which I got to make today for Science Day at work and a Lancashire Hotpot last night for tea.  Both actually turned out well. 

4) What Inspires Me Right Now
Gothic literature has been really inspiring and going back to all the projects I wrote for my creative writing assessments at uni.  I found one project I wrote for Experimental Writing that had been inspired by a concern in the late Victorian times so I had a fiddle around with it for my short short entry.

4 comments:

  1. I am a crafter in another life :) I have my aunt's 1960s sewing machine which still works but is kind of a beast to wrestle with. Still better than the cheapie machines out today unless you can put down more money on a nicer one. Sounds fun to do little projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love gothic literature. JANE EYRE will always be my favourite, but I actually kind of enjoyed THE MYSTERIES OF UDOLPHO as well. (Though, that one took some effort to get through.) I really should get around to reading more gothic lit. I'm also into crafting as well. I have so many projects on the go it's getting kind of ridiculous. Of course, all of them are unfinished. Hope you're able to get a sewing machine sometime in the near future. It really does help whip things up so much quicker. Have a great week, Robin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My reading's been slow this year too, but that's because I refuse to charge through books for the sake of meeting a reading quota. There are books I want to read this year, but I also have writing and other things I need to do. The last thing I want is to make reading a chore or an obligation.

    All the best with getting your short story ready to enter in the competition, Robin. May that, and all your other writing projects go well this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My reading's been slow this year too, but reading comics makes me feel like I'm getting further along with it.

    Hope you get a sewing machine soon!

    ReplyDelete