Social Icons

6 Feb 2014

Book Review: The Iron Daughter by Julie Kagawa

Half Summer faery princess, half human, Meghan has never fit in anywhere. Deserted by the Winter prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner to the Winter faery queen. As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron fey—ironbound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen. But no one believes her.

Worse, Meghan's own fey powers have been cut off. She's stuck in Faery with only her wits for help. Trusting anyone would be foolish. Trusting a seeming traitor could be deadly. But even as she grows a backbone of iron, Meghan can't help but hear the whispers of longing in her all-too-human heart.


I don't think I'm ever going to understand the appeal of a moody boy, especially Ash who admits that he would willingly kill Meghan if ordered to. I don't get how that is supposed to be romantic in any way. The so-called relationship between Meghan and Ash brings the rating down for me. Personally I'd go for Puck, the best friend and Mr Nice Guy who Meghan always seems a lot happier with even thought she says she loves Ash. Ash makes her feel miserable. He breaks her heart and he makes her cry. Who really wants a guy like that? When Puck comes along, he always brings a smile to her face and she seems and acts a lot more comfortable around him. It's unfortunate that it's quite fashionable to go for the jerk nowadays.

If the book didn't have this ridiculous pining (I can't call it romance because there's nothing romantic about Ash and Meghan) it would be a really fantastic read. The world of the fey is absolutely brilliant. It's mischievous, wondrous and dangerous at the same time. I love the idea of a new breed of fey evolving because of advances in technology. It brings danger that Meghan can't ignore and willingly steps into help. She's an idiot with Ash but at least she remains an active heroine, not letting others drag her around on these quests. She always opts to go.


When she has this focus of a quest and trying to solve a problem she is a likeable heroine.  But I felt we didn't get to see much of the strong Meghan in this book because she had a tendency to cry a lot.  Not exactly great when you're in a world full of sociopath fey.  And I love the complete lack of sympathy you get from these creatures.  They're old school, badass jerks.  Half the time I'm surprised Meghan is good natured enough to care about the demise of their world and get it sorted out.  They have a lot to thank her for.

Despite the dodgy romance aspect and Meghan's tears I still loved the book enough to stick with the girl on her little quest.  I loved the book to still pick up the third in the series which I'll review in the future.



2 comments:

  1. I have only read the first book in the series, and loved it, but the whole I love a guy who wants me dead thing was silly. I was hoping he'd at least lighten up. The world and fey creatures do make up for the romance though. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I met Julie at a con some years back and wanted to buy the first book so much but didn't have the $$. Now I really want to read it so I can see what you mean in book two. Sigh. So many books, so litte time. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete