Social Icons

15 Jan 2014

What's Up Wednesday

What's Up Wednesday is a weekly feature created by Jaime Morrow and Erin L. Funk. Perfect for readers and writers who want to share what they've been up to on a weekly basis and right now the place to share your goals.

1) What I'm Reading

Got a bit further into Ash by James Herbet.  It's quite slow paced, getting to the spooky location so I'm hoping once the MC is actually there things are going to start happening!

 2) What I'm Writing
Editing for Beast Inside.  On this current round of edits I'm almost at the end.  Then it's continuing to get this second draft onto a word document.  Already I have an idea on what to add in for the next round of editing.  I would love this to be the year I look for betas.

 3) What Else I've Been Up To

I've started a free course on forensic science.  This website Future Learn holds free courses lasting a various number of weeks from universities around the UK.  I thought it would be quite interesting to learn about and also use it as research if I ever decided to give crime fiction a go.  I've also signed up to two other courses: England in the Time of King Richard III  and How to Read a... Mind.  The latter is a cognitive science course looking at how we react to fictional characters and why.  I thought that would be pretty interesting as a writer.

Also had some good news this week.  I've finally been accepted onto a PGCE course! If all goes well and I pass my literacy and numeracy skills test I'll hopefully be studying Early Childhood Education in September. :) One step closer to becoming a teacher!

 4) What Inspires Me Right Now

Getting onto this course has been inspiring.  It's an awful feeling when you've had rejection after rejection.  Even though people tell you otherwise and stay positive for you, you can't help but feel like you want to give up.  You do take it personally and it's tempting to stick to that mindset that none of your dreams are going to happen.  It was a strange feeling seeing that offer appear because all of a sudden it was really happening.  I could be waking up in September ready for classes instead of work.  It's the end of being a teaching assistant and pretty soon I'm going to be the one standing in front of the class, responsible for up to thirty children.  It's given me a bit of a confidence boost and now I'm more determined than ever to make this the year I feel ready to query my WiP.  If we're all lucky we may get snapped up immediately.  But if not we have to remember that even though it's not happening right this second we're all going to be authors someday.  Some things just take more time than others.

End of cheesy speech.  How's your week been? :)

19 comments:

  1. Congrats on the PGCE course! It's wonderful getting great news like that, isn't it? And it's great to be moving that much closer to your goal. Same goes for Beast Inside. You're making great progress on that one from the sounds of it. Thanks for sharing that link to Future Learn. What a cool idea! I love the idea of learning about something like forensics, especially as research for writing. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a real confidence boost. :) People tell you to feel otherwise but you really can't help feeling low when it doesn't look like things are moving or happening for you. So relieved! I don't think I would have the mental strength for another year of applying!

      Delete
  2. Very cool about the classes you're taking. My writing group had a forensic anthropologist do a guest presentation about crime scenes and investigation. It was so interesting! Hers focused on what TV, movies, and books get wrong. I've already caught mistakes since then on TV shows. She said the U.S's FBI website has tons of resources for writers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo I'll have to check that website out! It's so handy to have as research, just in case. Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on being accepted for the PGCE course, and good luck with the other courses you're taking. It's so important to have knowledge like that to help with writing, particularly if you're writing outside of your field of knowledge and experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's incredible what you end up learning. This forensic science one I'm doing has taught me a few new things that are fun to know, even if I never use them in a book. :) So worth doing.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on getting onto a PGCE course. That's amazing! :D Hooray! Go you! What a huge confidence boost :D

    Those classes you're taking sound absolutely fascinating. Thanks for the link. Something to bear in mind for the future ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! =D I'm so excited! Finally, going to be a teacher!

      I could seriously get addicted to these courses. So many interesting things to learn about. I'd love to see a uni do a creative writing course on here or do one for a particular genre/market. Bet that would be interesting. ^^

      Delete
  5. I don't actually know what a PGCE course is, but congratulations!!! It sounds like you have a lot of good things in the works. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's a postgraduate course in teacher training. :)

      Delete
  6. Congratulations! It sounds like it's going to do a lot of good. Rejections can be really tough, so it's always great to get accepted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can really bring you down. You can't help feeling upset about it. But we get there in the end. :)

      Delete
  7. Good luck with your editing! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAY!!! Congrats on getting into a PGCE course, Robin!! That's wonderful news, and I know you're excited. You can count and you write novels, so you should be fine with the numeracy and literacy tests. :)

    FutureLearn looks cool, and some of those courses are very tempting. I might have to see if I can spare the time...

    I hope you have a really productive editing week, and your WIP comes ever closer to beta reader stage! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I wish it was easy as counting! Going to have to do some serious revision to get myself back in the habit of mental maths and other topics.

      Well, I currently have my numeracy to revise for, mock tests for driving, editing, work, blogging... and I'm managing to keep up with work on the course! They only expect a few hours a week. :)

      Delete
  9. Congrats on the course. Life can be like that sometimes... feeling like you're getting there too slowly and hoping that once you get there, things will start HAPPENING! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that is so true with me at the moment! It's exhausting but it's taking me to where I want to be so can't complain! ^^

      Delete
  10. Congrats on the course. I also hope to look into Beta readers sometime this year.

    ReplyDelete