Social Icons

20 Jan 2014

Inspirational Settings: Durham City

I've never had the opportunity to go to Durham before.  Located further up North from Yorkshire, I imagined a huge, bustling city.  I don't know why.  But I finally went up during News Years at Darlington and I can see why a lot of people fall in love with it and why many people choose to study there.  It's a quaint little city.

Compared to Leeds and York I'd say Durham is just a bit smaller,
filled with winding, cobbled hills that lead up to Durham Cathedral and Castle that sits on the right top, overlooking the town centre below.  The streets take you round in a circle, crossing bridges over the River Wear with the market square right in the middle of the city.

Like York, Durham is rich in history with the Cathedral and Castle still standing.  The magnificent buildings can be seen from almost anywhere in the town centre, and they say the view is amazing if you walk all the way up the Cathedral.  After trekking up the hills you get to a square with the Cathedral, library, and Castle all in one location.


Durham loves its little independent shops, hidden away in basement and attic rooms around the city.  From vintage to books and crafts they were situated in little alleys with crooked stairs leading up or down to the little corners these shop owners had settled in.  There's also a small indoor market at the market square with a variety of stalls, my favourite being a Medieval stall.  It's tiny but unique. 


5 comments:

  1. Oooh, lovely! I've never been to Durham... at least I don't think I have ^^; It looks oddly familiar, but in a traditionally medieval way, you know?

    Thanks for sharing such lovely photos ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of the towns up here in the North have an old feel to them. Richmond and York are quite historical and keep those ancient buildings. Durham reminded me a lot of them. :) My kind of city. ^^

      Delete
  2. That looks gorgeous! Now I want to visit. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a lovely place. Smaller than I imagined. The way people went on about Durham when we were all choosing universities made it sound like it was going to be huge and full of night life.

      Delete
  3. Another one of those places I *could* have visited... especially when I was at Uni in Hull! I had a friend who went to Durham University, and he seemed to really enjoy both the Uni and the city. Great pictures, Robin. :)

    ReplyDelete