Social Icons

21 Jan 2014

Book Review: The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

Meghan Chase has a secret destiny; one she could never have imagined.

Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home.

When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.

But she could never have guessed the truth - that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face; and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.

I'm in love with this world.  Kagawa has a world building ability I envy and you get lost in this dazzling yet dangerous world of the Fey.  There are the usual tropes that come with paranormal romance: the quiet girl next door, the dorky best friend who is secretly in love and the brooding main LI who you know is going to win.  Never mind that, there's a lot about the book I liked enough to keep reading and buying the next few books.

Meghan Chase's life is already pretty rubbish.  Especially with the recent prank pulled on her at school.  And to make things worse her brother is taken by the faery realm.  Can't a girl get a break? The book had me thinking of an 80s classic.  I don't know whether this was intended by the author or not but I was getting some Labyrinth vibes in my head which had me a little giddy, I'll admit.  Totally had David Bowie as Oberon too.  If The Iron King is optioned for an adaptation can we PLEASE have David Bowie as Oberon? I don't care how old he is.

This fey world Meghan finds herself into completely changes her perspective on her whole life.  The disappearance of her father, her heritage, and even her best friend, the amazingly hilarious and adorable Puck.  I don't do teams in PNR but... team Puck.  All the way.  I'm not a fan of love triangles and this one didn't make me change my opinion on them but if I have to root for one of the guys I'd go for Puck.  Ash really didn't hook me in and I really disliked the relationship between Meghan and Ash.  He was psycho in this.  Admitting he would willingly kill her and she's starting to get a little bit of drool hanging from her mouth? No.  Just no.  If a guy came up to me and said he's going to kill me I'd be getting in there first.  After I've castrated him.  Not a fan of Ash.  Could have done without him.  Or at least make him a proper villain so Meghan hated him instead of going all 'humina humina' on him. 

What I liked about the world was how it was being affected by the modern, human world.  The fey are powerful but there was a bigger power threatening them.  And it's thanks to us and our changing technology.  A race that can be killed with iron and the one thing that has to develop? Crap.  So Meghan has to find her little brother, avoid the loonies that are the Winter Fey, battle the growing Iron Fey race, and learn how to survive with all the sneaky fey around.  I did like how she got used to dealing with faeries, learning how to use loopholes in deals to get the information she needed.  I'll give Meghan this, she's a character with some brains.  And she was active.  The plot didn't move her, she moved the plot and when it came down to the final showdown it was Meghan who had to face the Big Bad by herself, saving others instead of having to be saved herself.

Overall I was intrigued enough to keep going with the series.  Not quite bad to be honest.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment