Social Icons

16 Oct 2013

What's Up Wednesday

What's Up Wednesday is a weekly feature created by Jaime Morrow and Erin L. Funk. Perfect for readers and writers who want to share what they've been up to on a weekly basis and right now the place to share your goals and track your progress for Ready. Set. Write!

1) What I'm Reading

I finished Asylum by Madeleine Roux which I gave 5 starts.  I have a book review to come later in the week so all I'll say now is this book was a fantastic read.  Murder mystery and supernatural all in one complete with haunting photographs from real asylums to add to the atmosphere.  I liked the characters, the pace, the spookiness.  It was brilliant.  Now I'm on to a book I've been wanting to read for ages: The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irvin.  Irvin can get a bit snarky at times.  I like it.

I also got round to reading Who-ology, one of my amazing birthday presents last month.  I sat down and devoured it in a whole day.  I loved reading all the facts and trivia from classic Who to new Who.  Definitely a must buy for Doctor Who fans.  I think the only downside to it is it was published before Matt Smith announced he was leaving.  So it doesn't mention anything about Peter Capaldi or the 12th (if this is actually the 12th) Doctor. 

2) What I'm Writing

I took part in another flash fiction challenge by the YA Buccaneers which you can read here if you're interested.  After trying out last month's I definitely wanted another go at writing a 200 word story.  I absolutely loved it.  While I'm sometimes not the wordiest writer out there I still think I can get to the point a bit better and these flash fiction challenges really do help.


3) What Else I've Been Up To

Not much to be honest.  I've been catching up on all my TV programmes mainly.  The new seasons have all started so weekend mornings are spent snuggled up in a onesie and the newest episode showing. 

4) What Inspires Me Right Now

I have to give a huge shout out to Jaime Morrow who kindly took the time to read the first ten pages of Beast Inside.  This is the first time anyone other than me has read it so I was an absolute nervous wreck.  I was worried I'd get it back and find it was awful.  But Jaime was lovely.  She pointed out things that could be changed that I hadn't noticed before and gave feedback on what worked for her.  So helpful and it made me feel much better about my writing and this story.  It also made me think if it really is time to get over my fears and let an outside party read it.  So after this round of editing I'll get myself prepared for finding betas.  Thank you so much, Jaime! It was very inspiring. :)

12 comments:

  1. I'm a wordy writer - 200 words would be indeed a challenge.

    There are so many TV shows to watch - old and new ones ... I think I never watched this much TV before ...

    CPs and beta-readers are great - if you find the right ones. I hope you find them ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a time when I rarely watched TV. There wasn't much on that I liked. It's like all of a sudden loads of people got really good ideas haha!

      Delete
  2. Aww, thanks, Robin! I had no idea that I was the first outside person to read it. I feel very honoured right now. :D You should definitely feel confident in your writing ability and this story as well.

    I was actually kind of curious about Washinton Irving's SLEEPY HOLLOW. It's not very long either, so I could probably whip through it quickly. I'm enjoying the show, but I'd like to know what the original is like.

    You know, I hadn't thought about flash fiction being good practice at being less wordy, but you make a really good point. I'm soooooooo wordy when I'm writing (and commenting, apparently :P) so maybe I should give it a whirl sometime. Have a great week, Robin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the book so far. Ichabod seems quite a weedy sort of guy. Not your dashing, heroic type. I need to start watching Sleepy Hollow. The trailer made it look quite interesting.

      Delete
  3. Who-ology sounds awesome. I've never heard of it but now I really want it! I'm a big fan of New Who and I keep intending to give some Classic Who a shot just because I want to see how it all began.

    I've been catching up on TV a lot too. I watch what I can live but there are so many great shows on now and sometimes it's not possible.

    Great readers are the best and it sounds like you got some very nice feedback. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been buying some classic Who. :) I really enjoy it. I can see why people thought it was very original for the time. The acting isn't great but you still got to love it. It's so much fun.

      Delete
  4. Sharing a book for the first time is so nerve-wracking but absolutely worth it.

    I'm so happy my shows are back. It's a nice treat at the end of the week to catch up with them ^_^

    Have an awesome week :D Nearly half-term, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Final week starting tomorrow. :) There are so many shows I'll be having to catch up on during the hols! I haven't got round to starting all of them.

      Delete
  5. Oh, a morning in a onesie, snuggled up while it's all cold outside...perfect :) Yay for you getting your work out there! It's so scary to let someone else see it but so worth it, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, my onesie was one of the best things I ever bought. I don't care how silly they look, it's so comfy to wear. I always enjoy the change to colder weather just because I have the excuse to get all the comfy wear out. ^^ Nothing beats being wrapped up warm in layers, scarves, and uggs.

      Delete
  6. I need to read another Who book soon--but probably fiction. The next in the Eighth Doctor series that I'm working through, probably. It's good to see you're studying up for the Anniversary Special, Robin. ;)

    And congrats for sharing your work for the first time. That's a major hurdle to leap. Can you believe I'm actually looking forward to sharing my WIP with betas? Not that I think it'll blow them away or anything; I'm really looking forward to the "this works/this sucks" feedback.

    Have an excellent week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to read a Who book period! Might have to hint for vouchers this Christmas to buy the books and serials. ^^

      I can't wait now either! I know feedback will be different and someone might find the story doesn't work for them at all but sending those 10 pages off has shown me that others looking at it isn't totally scary.

      Delete