Social Icons

9 Oct 2013

What's Up Wednesday

What's Up Wednesday is a weekly feature created by Jaime Morrow and Erin L. Funk. Perfect for readers and writers who want to share what they've been up to on a weekly basis and right now the place to share your goals and track your progress for Ready. Set. Write!

1) What I'm Reading

I finished Storm Front by Jim Butcher.  Overall I really enjoyed it.  I've never known a character to
take so much crap and bad luck but Harry Dresden finally got there in the end.  So I was quite attached to the character.  I gave the book four stars and I'm also planning on pinching Pete's Dresden Files collection to read more in the future.

Now I'm reading Asylum by Madeleine Roux.  I snatched this up as soon as I read it was in the same style (presentation wise) as Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children.  Filled with photographs from real asylums the book so far is keeping the tension and mystery gradually paced which, for me, is making me stay up late just to read a tiny bit more before I have to finally give in to tiredness.  I have a good feeling with this book.  I like the characters, I'm liking the way the plot is paced and the mystery of it all.  The way I feel nervous about what's about to happen next instead of being full on gore and horror.

2) What I'm Writing

I actually tried working a bit on Consequences this weekend but I really have come to a grinding halt with it.  The plot has moved way too fast and I don't think the horror is effective enough.  So I'll leave it for now and concentrate on the projects I know where I am with.  That break worked when I started Beast Inside all those years ago, left it due to similar problems and came back into it with a better idea of things.

3) What Else I've Been Up To

I finally made time for some baking.  Since the Great British Bake Off started I've been getting idea on top of idea on top of idea with new things to try out.  I had a go at making flapjacks for the first time with a coconut and cherry flavour to them.  I'm wondering what to try out next...

Also started a new Zumba class at a local dance studio.  I've been actually thinking of getting back into dancing.  There's a Charleston workshop going on next week that you can drop in for and I hope to get myself booked in for the next ballroom/latin course next term.  I think I prefer dancing as exercise over the gym.  I'm really not a gym person.

4) What Inspires Me Right Now

A rather random thing inspired me the other day that got my brain all plotting and planning.  And since it's October I'll give you three guesses what the genre was as well.  ;)

7 comments:

  1. I think taking some time away from a troublesome story can be the best thing ever. That's where I'm at right now, and it's making me want to return to it with solutions and inspiration to make some serious changes. Here's hoping that happens with CONSEQUENCES. That ASYLUM book sounds really creepy, but creepy in a good way! Photographs of that kind of thing are eerie and nightmare worthy. From the sounds of it, the pacing of this book is inspiring you in your own writing. That's always a bonus. Have a great week, Robin, and have fun with your baking! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard about ASYLUM. It sounds like a really interesting book, but I try to avoid horror. Taking a break can definitely help things work themselves out. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to check out Asylum. I love Madeleine Roux's zombie books. Have you read those?

    A break sounds like a great idea. Wait for the right moment and the perfect shot of inspiration rather than forcing it when it's not working.

    Enjoy the Bake Off. I can't watch that show. It makes me consume way too much cake ^^;

    Have an awesome week :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and your creepy readings and writing *cringes* I'm too much of a chicken! lol

    "I think I prefer dancing as exercise over the gym." >> same here!

    Hey, send some of that baking this way, mkay? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dancing is so much better than exercising at the gym. I couldn't bear to go to the gym.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thoroughly enjoyed MISS PEREGRINE, so maybe I'll enjoy ASYLUM. I really liked the layout of MISS P--definitely a book that loses something in digital format! The pictures also added to the creep factor. :)

    Oh, and I think I've guessed the genre of your Shiny New Idea: historical romance! Am I close? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dancing! I love it. :) I took salsa lessons with my sister-in-law a few years ago, and it was so much fun. Great exercise too. I keep hoping Zumba will come to my town so that I can try it out - it looks like a fantastic way to get in a workout.

    For me, taking breaks from writing has often led to the best writing I've done. So kudos for taking a break, and I hope it helps you work out the issues.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete