Social Icons

18 Sep 2013

What's Up Wednesday

What's Up Wednesday is a weekly feature created by Jaime Morrow and Erin L. Funk. Perfect for readers and writers who want to share what they've been up to on a weekly basis and right now the place to share your goals and track your progress for Ready. Set. Write!

1) What I'm Reading

I've been quite bad with the reading since September begin.  Work started two weeks ago and I've just been getting used to that, spending any free time writing and getting everything prepared for my phonics group.  I need to get some reading done this weekend, even if it's only another couple of chapters.

2) What I'm Writing

I tried flash fiction for the first time after seeing the YA Buccaneers challenge and got a really good idea for it.  I really enjoyed writing a story that short so I don't plan on that being my last go at flash fiction.

I'm also writing a short story for a writing competition based on Friday 13th.  Again, I read the challenge and got an idea for it so I'm going to give it a go and see how I do.  It's been ages since I wrote a short story to send off somewhere and I'd like to really get into the habit of writing them.   


3) What Else I've Been Up To

Getting back into the habit of going to work and getting used to Year 2 work and expectations.  I'm absolutely loving this year and teaching a little group of phase 5 phonics so I've been getting used to that. 

4) What Inspires Me Right Now

I've been watching the new season of Ghost Adventures to get back in the ghost writing mood.  And Pete's been watching Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood recently so while I'm catching glimpses of it I'm suddenly interested and inspired by Alchemy.  I'm hunting around for some decent books on it for research.

8 comments:

  1. I can only imagine how busy you must be right now, based on my experience teaching. I'm looking to get back into substitute teaching again soon, and even that is enough to make me worry about all of the free time I will no longer have. I guess you just get better at managing your time, right? We'll see. Here's hoping you can get back to reading and writing as much as you'd like to! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first few weeks back at school are always absolutely insane. There are so many assessments to do to see where the children are and then there's getting all their work books and reading books sorted out. It's mental but we're all in a routine now so everything feels less chaotic. :) Back to normal!

      Delete
  2. Isn't Flash Fiction amazing? I totally got into it about two years ago, but then got smacked over the head with the novel bug. It's all good. I'm actually working on one piece that's a collection of flash fiction... Or I will be, one day. I'm sure you've got the "one day" bug too, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brotherhood is such an epic anime. I've been thinking about rewatching it again. Ed's such an amazing character, and the soundtrack is phenomenal...

    ...okay, yeah, I will definitely be watching it again as soon as I find the time ;)

    It can take a while to get back into the swing of writing and working after a break. Aaaah, phonics. As helpful as they can be, there are times when it really fails due to how non-phonetic the English language is. Trying to explain why "Ph" sounds like "f" to a five-year-old isn't easy, especially when the answer is basically "because it does" :P

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love flash fiction, it's so much fun to write! And it makes a change from working on the WIP all the time :) I hope school calms down for you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't written a flash fiction in way too long. I need to try one again because I really do enjoy writing them and they are very challenging!

    Good luck with work and balance this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool! You've been bitten by the Flash Fiction bug!! Next time Janet Reid has a contest, I hope you'll give it a try. The word count is a lot lower, but it's such a lot of fun, and it's a nice diversion from novel writing.

    I hope you have a great week with school and writing, Robin. It's really cool that you love teaching--those are the best kind of teachers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. FMA:B is amazing! I'd love to hear how your alchemy research goes. :)

    ReplyDelete