Social Icons

8 Aug 2013

What's Up Yesterday

What's Up Wednesday is a weekly feature created by Jaime Morrow and Erin L. Funk.  Perfect for readers and writers who want to share what they've been up to on a weekly basis and right now the place to share your goals and track your progress for Ready. Set. Write!

1) What I'm Reading
Since last week I finished The Unicorn Crisis by Jon Rosenberg which I gave 4/5 stars to on Goodreads.  Overall, I really liked it.  The world Rosenberg had built was fascinating.  In The Hidden Academy series some people have the power to summon things, basically being known as Summoners.  These summonings can range from the simple things that exist in our world such as bacon sandwiches (which does get summoned in the book at one point) to mythological creatures from other worlds such as unicorns (hence the title) and dangerous beings like Fire Lords.  Great book! But it's only available on kindle.

After The Unicorn Crisis I read The Drifter by Richie Tanskersley Cusick.  I only gave that 2/5 stars.  If that had been the first and only book by the author I probably would have given it a higher rating.  But after reading Trick or Treat and Fatal Secrets it's way too similar.  Paranoid female heroine.  Mysterious, creepy boys.  Absentee parents who don't listen.  Ghostly happenings that may not be that paranormal.  It's the same plot with a different location and a different ghost story behind it.  I was a bit disappointed.

Currently I'm reading The Iron Queen by Julie Kagawa.  Ash is still my least favourite character.  He's not so much a dick in this book but now he's all boring and mushy.  Bleurgh.  Give me Puck any day.  I'm about 60% into the book.

2) What I'm Writing

Overall goal for Ready. Set. Write!: Complete July Camp NaNo to finish off the story I started in April's Camp NaNo and decided to put aside for a bit of a chill out.  Also complete the round of edits I'm doing for Beast Inside.  I'd like the 2nd and 3rd edits which I'm doing back to back to be finished by the end of summer.

 Weekly goal for 7/8/2013 I'll be away for a week without my laptop so I'll be leaving Consequences for now.  I just want to get Chapter 27 finished for next week.

I managed to write Chapter 27, along with Chapters 28 and 29.

Weekly goal for 15/8/2013 Chapter 30 of Beast Inside, make sure I'm caught up on the 3rd edits on the computer for BI, and go over what I've done so far for Consequences so I can get back into writing that.

3) What Else I've Been Up To
I went to Rome for a week which was absolutely amazing.  The city was so beautiful and historic. 
Colosseum at night
All the ruins and ancient buildings they've kept, restoring them all for us to see in the modern day.  It's incredible.  I learnt some interesting facts that would even be handy for work if I ever teach the Romans.  I also went to Pompeii for the day which is an incredible place.  It's amazing to see but also quite tragic considering the history.  Mount Vesuvius managed to behave itself for the day.  For some reason I was convinced it was extinct.  It isn't.  =/

I've been catching up on everything I've missed in the last week.  Lovely news in real life with friends getting married and engaged.  Always nice to hear.  The biggest excitement was the reveal of the 12th Doctor.  I quite like the look of Peter Capaldi already so I'm looking forward to see what he brings to the show. I really hopes he does well.  The Doctor must be an intimidating role to be given.  There's so much pressure surrounding the character.

I'll most likely be doing posts on Rome, Pompeii, and Doctor Who so I'll leave my ramblings there. ;)

4) What Inspires Me Right Now
Pompeii was a very inspiring place which I'll show you pictures of in a future post.  WriteOnCon is coming soon (August 13-14th) which always gets me in the writing bug.  The program looks amazing!

6 comments:

  1. Ooh, thanks for sharing the photo! I like it a lot :D

    Alas, any excitement I may have once felt about a new Doctor has been totally overshadowed by Moffat. I won't be watching 12 until Moffat's left. I'm only watching the specials for my fix of 10. After that, I am once again done with Doctor Who.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More photos to come! =D

      It's such a shame when programmes are ruined by writers or the big boss. I've been quite disappointed by Supernatural for a while. The last season was a bit of an improvement but it's not what it used to be.

      Delete
  2. I must say, I don't think I've yet read a book I felt compelled to give less than 3 stars to. Some have come close to 2 stars, but in the end there was something redeemable to bump them up. Maybe I'm too nice. :) Or, more likely, my blog friends keep recommending me good books! :D

    Nice picture, Robin. I look forward to hearing (and seeing) more from your Roman adventures!

    I can't even begin to imagine the kind of pressure on both those that pick the new Doctor, and the actor himself. A bad choice could shipwreck the show, and the actor has to live with that. Look at the stigma Colin Baker carried for a long time. After all, the condition the BBC gave John Nathan-Turner for bringing back the show in 1987 was that they replace Colin Baker. It was hugely unfair, since they had barely given Colin a chance to get into the part. But as I recall, for a while that whole episode sullied his tenure.

    I've only seen Capaldi in Torchwood and "The Fires of Pompeii," which don't really give a full picture of his range. But from the look of him, and the fact he's a Who-geek, I think he'll do very well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I get most of my awesome reads from blogger friends. People know a good book when they see it!

      I've yet to see a Colin Baker episode so I don't know how he ever did as the Doctor. That's definitely something to change this summer! According to my aunt who also loves Dr Who (and the reason I got into it) it was Sylvester McCoy who was incredibly unpopular.

      Delete
  3. Great job meeting (and surpassing) your goals this week, Robin! And Rome? That sounds awesome! I've been to Venice, but I would love to return to Italy to see Rome one day. Glad to hear you enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Venice is on my list next time I visit Italy. ^^ Rome is definitely not the last time I go to that country. I felt so comfortable there. :)

      Delete