Social Icons

28 Aug 2013

What's Up Wednesdays

What's Up Wednesday is a weekly feature created by Jaime Morrow and Erin L. Funk. Perfect for readers and writers who want to share what they've been up to on a weekly basis and right now the place to share your goals and track your progress for Ready. Set. Write!

1) What I'm Reading

I started reading Storm Front by Jim Butcher which I'm loving at the moment.  Unfortunately it's opened my eyes a bit to the previous book I read The Unicorn Crisis  by Jon Rosenberg.  As I started reading this book I was thinking: snarky MC with powers? Started when he was a teenager? Killed someone with said powers? A murder has happened and he's a suspect? I think Rosenberg must have liked The Dresden Files a bit too much.  I did like The Unicorn Crisis but I'm a bit disappointed in all the elements of the story that are too similar.

2) What I'm Writing

Overall goal for Ready. Set. Write!: Complete July Camp NaNo to finish off the story I started in April's Camp NaNo and decided to put aside for a bit of a chill out. Also complete the round of edits I'm doing for Beast Inside. I'd like the 2nd and 3rd edits which I'm doing back to back to be finished by the end of summer.

Weekly goal for 28/08/2013 Get anything done, even if it's a little bit of writing.

I got some writing done.  Yay! I'm well into Chapter 31 of Beast Inside  and wrote a little more of Chapter 15 for Consequences. 

Overall I didn't get both stories finished which I was hoping for but I've worked quite a bit on them at least.  I'm going to keep going on them and get them both finished.  Then I might just concentrate on editing all the drafts I've completed so far.  I'm undecided about taking part in NaNo this year because of all the drafts I've finished and could do with working on.

3) What Else I've Been Up To

I'm currently in Darlington at the mo so I've been spending time with Pete's family.  Went to see The Mortal Instruments with his cousins and sister in the cinema.  Apart from another couple we were the only ones there.  The film was okay.  Wasn't too keen on some of the actorsLoved Simon and the actor who played him.  Great casting choice there.

Also went to The Forbidden Corner, a strange mystical park in North Yorkshire.  It's really a family outing sort of place so me, Pete, his cousin and her boyfriend must have looked a tad childish but it's great fun.  Apart from the areas that spray water at you.  I came out absolutely soaked and filthy from crawling through tiny tunnels.

4) What Inspires Me Right Now

Ready. Set. Write! has been an amazing inspiration and motivation.  Summer is the worst time for my writing.  Nothing ever gets done.  But this writing intensive has been brilliant in getting me to dedicate myself to writing goals and seeing that I achieve them.  I'm hoping there's another one next year!

The Forbidden Corner was a great source of inspiration.  It's such an eccentric, fantastical place that had my mind buzzing with ideas for a fantasy WiP.  I'll be doing an inspirational settings post on it along with Pompeii.  This summer has been amazing for great locations.

16 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've had a great inspirational summer! One of the best parts of my job is taking the children to places like that Forbidden Corner and doing things I wouldn't normally do... At this point in time I should really be writing a story set on a farm though. The little one just hit her farm animal phase ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one reason why I love working with children or would even consider having children in the future. So I can take them to awesome places. I got to go to the Yorkshire Wildlife Park with reception back in June and it was a fantastic place. Might be going to Chester Zoo next year with year 2. =D *fingers crossed*

      Delete
  2. Ooh, The Forbidden Corner sounds very cool! Definitely a place for my bucket list. :-)

    I'm inspired by my fellow Ready. Set. Write! participants too, Robin. It's been such a fantastic summer, and I've enjoyed celebrating everyone's successes. Plus, I wrote far more words than I ever would have going at it alone.

    Best of luck with your future writing projects... I love forward to hearing all about them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great place for the family. So much fun for the adults too! ^^

      I always do better in my writing when I know there's a lot of people taking part at the same time. Sharing and seeing goals really builds up the motivation. Ready. Set. Write! and NaNo are perfect for this. :)

      Delete
  3. Yay! SO glad you were inspired by RSW and that you achieved so much! And while the writing intensive is ending, I still plan to set goals each week through WUW. We can all hold each other accountable and update on progress!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, this has been so helpful. I've always been quite bad during summer. :)

      Delete
  4. The Forbidden Corner sounds like my kind of place! I'll have to keep it in mind when I next go to Yorkshire!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was the first time I went and I had such a good time. Really recommend it!

      Delete
  5. As much as I'd like to do NaNoWriMo this year, my Mum might be coming to visit for the whole of November. I hope to be interacting with beta readers by then, anyway, so I doubt I'll want to be spending a lot of time writing 50K words of a new novel.

    All the best with your writing goals this week, Robin! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd probably manage it time wise because I don't have anything on in regards to family. I can see mine any time because they all live close and it'll most likely be December/January when I see Peter's family. But with all the first drafts that I've collected from doing these NaNo months I have enough to take up my time for quite a while. Probably best to concentrate on them.

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad RSW has been so helpful to you. Even though you didn't finish your stories, you got lots of awesome work done on them from the sounds of it. That's fantastic!

    As for the Mortal Instruments, I felt much the same way you did about it. I LOVED the guy they cast for Simon. Seriously, he was perfect for the role and easily the best character in the movie. Hope you have a great week, Robin! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Despite the end I think I'll be encouraged to keep going and get them finished. :)

      I was so excited to see how Robert Sheehan would do. I've seen him before in Misfits where he plays the most annoying and rude guy ever so it was going to be interesting to see him play nice, geeky guy Simon. And I think he nailed it. Such a talented actor! If you haven't seen Misfits I recommend it. He's so different!

      Delete
  7. I plan to see The Mortal Instruments this weekend. I've heard mixed reviews though. Good luck with your writing goals. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think it was too bad. Not the best but it wasn't terrible either. Some of the acting wasn't great but I loved seeing that world come alive on the screen. Quite a bit of action in it which was good. :)

      Delete
  8. I never liked the Mortal Instruments books, but I might like the movie! :) I had a similar experience with The Hunger Games -- I liked it but didn't understand all the hype, but then I ended up loving the movie.

    The Forbidden Corner sounds really fun, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a fan of the books either. I actually preferred the film! I was interested in seeing it because demon hunters and the fighting scenes looked quite good on screen and it wasn't all that bad. Quite enjoyed it. :)

      Delete