Social Icons

14 Aug 2013

What's Up Wednesday

What's Up Wednesday is a weekly feature created by Jaime Morrow and Erin L. Funk.  Perfect for readers and writers who want to share what they've been up to on a weekly basis and right now the place to share your goals and track your progress for Ready. Set. Write!

1) What I'm Reading
I finished The Iron Queen which I gave four stars to.  Definitely the best Iron Fey book I've read so far.  For the next read I've picked up Storm Front by Jim Butcher, the first in the Dresden Files series.  My boyfriend really likes them and has been recommending them to for a while.  It's time to try one out.  This is the blurb to Storm Front.



Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or
Other Entertainment.

Harry Dresden is the best at what he does. Well, technically, he’s the only at what he does. So when the Chicago P.D. has a case that transcends mortal creativity or capability, they come to him for answers. For the “everyday” world is actually full of strange and magical things — and most of them don’t play well with humans. That’s where Harry comes in. Takes a wizard to catch a — well, whatever.

There’s just one problem. Business, to put it mildly, stinks. So when the police bring him in to consult on a grisly double murder committed with black magic, Harry’s seeing dollar signs. But where there’s black magic, there’s a black mage behind it. And now that mage knows Harry’s name. And that’s when things start to get… interesting.

Magic. It can get a guy killed.


2) What I'm Writing

Overall goal for Ready. Set. Write!: Complete July Camp NaNo to finish off the story I started in April's Camp NaNo and decided to put aside for a bit of a chill out.  Also complete the round of edits I'm doing for Beast Inside.  I'd like the 2nd and 3rd edits which I'm doing back to back to be finished by the end of summer.

Weekly goal for 15/8/2013 Chapter 30 of Beast Inside, make sure I'm caught up on the 3rd edits on the computer for BI, and go over what I've done so far for Consequences so I can get back into writing that.

I finished Chapter 30 in the second edits and am up to date with all the chapters for the third round of edits. 

Weekly goal for 21/08/2013 Chapter 31 of Beast Inside and finish Chapter fifteen of Consequences.

3) What Else I've Been Up To
I've been lurking around WriteOnCon, reading people's work and looking at the posts that guest speakers have written.  I've seen some fantastic work that must be published one day.  There are some future authors lurking around the forums.

I also put a query people helped me with last year up for another critique in the 'setting the tone' workshop.  Honestly, I've come out more confused than ever because the advice people gave me last year is conflicting with the advice people have given me this year.  So I'm back to being stuck with queries.  I think what I'll do is write another query with the advice I got this time and maybe see if there's somewhere on Absolute Write that critique queries and both put versions up for feedback and answers. 

4) What Inspires Me Right Now
WriteonCon.  Seeing other people's work as they query and bravely put part of their WiP up for critique has sort of given me a writing boost.  I want to be at that stage when I'm ready for the big query send out.  I want to be ready for betas and outside opinion. :)

9 comments:

  1. WriteOnCon is great. I'm sorry it didn't work out for the the previous year. Good luck with everything. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keeps you remembering that people look for different things. :) Always something to keep in mind when you go to query different agents.

      Delete
  2. I agree about feeling confused about conflicting advice. I've also had the experience of having a query polished and rewritten, based on a number of critiques, to a point where almost everyone finally likes it, and then a new critiquer basically thinks everything everyone else loved about it needs changed or taken out. Sometimes there can be too many cooks in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think when that happens you've probably got to go with what you feel tells the story best, send it off, and if it doesn't work then maybe another version might be best. It's all trial and error in the end. :)

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh! That is so weird. Hubby had a copy of the very same Jim Butcher book sitting on the dining room table yesterday. Weird coincidence. Awesome that you're meeting your RSW goals. That's a great feeling, isn't it? Of course, I wouldn't know this week because I totally didn't. :P Good luck with this week's goals! I hear you on the being stuck with queries thing. I've had similar issues with conflicting suggestions. That said, I do think people are very brave for sharing their work on WriteOnCon. Have a great week, Robin! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes you need a break from goals and jobs. All work and no play... ^^

      I think putting your work out there for critiquing is one of the scariest processes in writing. Makes me want to hide under a table when I've done that in the past! I'm a nervous wreck!

      Delete
  4. I know what you mean about conflicting advice. It can be hard to separate what advice comes from pure personal preference and what is sound advice, if that makes sense. Having had a couple of absolutely terrible experiences with critiquers, I'm always wary of submitting my work to others' eyes. Luckily I've found a good CP recently who is insightful and generally awesome. I hope you find that final draft you're looking for. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, Robin! First, thanks again for your comments on my pages for WriteOnCon. You were both encouraging and helpful. :)

    As to your query issue... I hear you. So many people struggle with queries. They're one of those things that are really simple, and so hard. When it comes down to it, the query that works is the query that makes an agent read your book. And there aren't really any rules, just tips and "best practices." I can't remember if you've ever read Janet Reid's Query Shark blog. If not, you really should. She has good examples of queries that break all the "rules," but she requested on because they were so compelling.

    I wish you all the best with your goals this week! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Querying can be hard, but the key is to not over analyse it. Agents/Editors care about the book a lot more than the query letter! They want to find a book that they will love to read and then be able to turn around and convince other people to read and fall in love with. So tell them what your book is about, it a couple short paragraphs.

    You wrote the book, you know what it's about. And you've probably told lots of other people (friends/relatives/random strangers) what it's about. So tell the agents what it's about. They won't all love it because nobody likes every book. There are some books you have probably read and loved that I wouldn't like and vise versa. But if you're story is good someone will want to read it.

    All you have to do to find that someone is tell people what it's about. That's what a query letter is. So good luck with it, and try not to stress about it to much.

    ReplyDelete