Social Icons

5 Jun 2013

RTW - Best book of the month

Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic. 

This Week's Topic: What was the best book you read in May?

Last month I started The Dead and Buried by Kim Harrington at the beginning of May and then moved onto Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld which has been a slow one for me.  So the best book has to go to...

The Dead and Buried by Kim Harrington 

 It was a quick book to get through with a fast enough pace. I did like the focus was always on the
mystery and didn't have any chapters or scenes that was just waffle. It suited Jade's situation. She was living in a haunted house with a very angry ghost who threatened to harm her family if Jade didn't find the murderer. Poor Jade was on a bit of a timer.

For people who don't like horror I would still say this would be a good read. The paranormal/horror elements aren't as frequent as you would expect from a haunted house story. It's really more about the mystery: Who murdered Kayla Sloane?

I liked the MC. She was quite happy to move to a bigger house and bigger town. Her relationship with her stepmother was a little hostile but she never whined about it and always had her focus on more important things. She sort of blended into her new school, nervous but still quite happy being herself and not all worried about being in a clique and not purposely wanting to be an outsider.

There is romance but again that isn't the focus of the plot and when there might have been a time for romance the ghost happily lets Jade and the readers know this is neither the time nor the place for concentrating on boyfriends. Even with two male characters who are interested in her there is no love triangle. Jade makes it clear from the start that she isn't interested in Kane which is quite a relief to see. Most female characters these days lead the two male LIs along, switching from one to the other.

I would say the murderer was predictable but it was still entertaining to read. Everyone had their secrets that had some tiny part in the events leading up to Kayla's death and it was fun putting the pieces and the overall story together as the book went on.

 

5 comments:

  1. Murder-mystery, light on the romance, good for those who aren't big on horror... sounds like a book I should check out! Thanks, Robin. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like books that have a quick pace, because you never want to put them down. And a little murder and mystery is always a plus. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a good book. I also like books that are quick to read and without any filler chapters here and there. I'm not a huge fan of paranormal fiction with ghosts involved, they scare me, but as this is light on the ghostliness, I could probably handle it!
    (Speaking of ghost books, have you read Leaving Poppy by Kate Cann? It is a brilliant book, scared me half to death reading it, but excellent nevertheless, if that's your kind of thing! I like to recommend this author, as she writes great books but is hard to find in bookshops.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad I read this post. It reminds me I've been meaning to put Kim Harrington on my TBR list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading books that have great pacing. I like to study them to see how the author managed to drive the plot forward so smoothly.

    ReplyDelete