Social Icons

1 May 2013

RTW - Best Book of the Month

Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.

This Week's Topic: 
What was the best book you read in April?

I got back on my reading this month, finishing The Madman's Daughter by Megan Shepherd off and reading Anna and the French Kiss by Stephenie Perkins and This Is Not A Test by Courtney Summers.

And the best book out of those three...

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephenie Perkins 

I'm not a contemporary romance fan but I really enjoyed Anna and the French Kiss.  Anna had a great voice.  Witty, confused, paranoid - she's a bundle of emotions and doesn't necessarily understand all of them which a teen reader could relate to a lot.

I was relieved to see a Nice Guy LI for once.  St Clair is not a brooding, bad boy type character.  When he meets Anna for the first time he's not being arrogant and rude because he has issues and secretly insta-loves the girl.  He's friendly, ready to help her settle into Paris, and they share a close bond that grows into best friend territory.  And from that best friend relationship their attraction grows.  It was nice to see a relationship develop like that for once in YA.

It's also more than Anna finding love in the world's most romantic city.  She's there for school, sent unwillingly by her parents and she struggles.  She doesn't know the language, she wants to fit in, and she's worried that she'll lose the people she knew and cared for back home because she's been gone.  Paris is this alien world to her but slowly through the help of her friends, she explores and discovers how amazing the city is.  She gains a bit of independence.  And Summers does a great job in bringing the streets of Paris to life.  You'll want to visit Paris or return to the city if you read this book.  




What's your best book of the month?

5 comments:

  1. I must say, Robin, you've done a better job selling this book to me than either the title or the cover did! I, too, am not into contemporary romance (romance novels pretty much as a whole, in fact). But based on your review, I might be willing to give this one a try.

    The publisher should give you a commission. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard good things about this book and am holding it in my shopping cart as the next book to order and read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you chose this as your favourite book of the month. I love this one so much and I'm glad you liked it too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adored this book too! Great choice!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard so much about this book... yet still haven't gotten around to reading it. Your post has convinced me I better get on it soon ;)

    (Also, I see on your sidebar that you're reading THIS IS NOT A TEST. Awesome book. Summers has serious talent.)

    ReplyDelete