Social Icons

31 May 2013

Currently...

Loving: Ancestry.co.uk and doing my family history tree. My family's a bit hard to track on both sides of my great-grandparents.  The problem is my maternal great-grandma's mother and family were from Russia or what used to be Russia.  It's part of Ukraine now. So obviously there aren't going to be many documents for the ancestors who didn't immigrate to Leeds.  The Irish side (my maternal great-grandfather's family) might as well have been non-existent because there are barely any records for them and one surname apparently has different variations so I can't really track that family down. Oy.  If time travel is ever invented I know where I'm going first.  Get some bloody answers!

Also loving a bit of real life time.  I haven't been blogging as much and most of my days, especially in this half term holiday, has involved running around for appointments and getting some jobs done for the flat and spring cleaning. I've been writing now and again but a lot of my focus has been boring adult type stuff. 

Reading:

I'm going quite slow with this book tbh.  I think that's why I don't read as much fantasy as I'd like to because the world building at the beginning and the adventures/quests that's supposed to happen can often fall victim to going slow.  So I'm about 150 pages in and I'll admit that I'm getting a little bit impatient now.  I think the two different perspectives is slowing the plot down a bit.  I'll give it another hundred pages but if nothing is still happening or I'm still not feeling hooked and inclined to continue this may become a DNF.

Watching: Alcatraz.  Mystery, serial killers... enough to draw me in.  This show tends to get into the head of the killer as they attempt to track them down which is what interests me.  I would have loved to have gone into forensic psychology if I had known during my studies how much the mind fascinates me.


Thinking about: Planning projects, editing.... just general writing.

Anticipating: Very work related. All the teachers know where they're going next year so the TA list will be up and the headteacher I work with said she'd let me move up to another year to help with my PGCE application.  So I'm looking forward to see which year I'll be in.  I'm hoping I'll be in a new year group.

Wishing:  For summer to come.  2.8 Hours Later next month and Rome in August.  I'm getting all excited! =D

Making me happy: Editing.  The more I edit Beast Inside, the more I'm falling in love with it all over again and the more I have the story I wanted from it. 

7 comments:

  1. To each their own, I guess. LEVIATHAN had me from the first couple of chapters. Off the top of my head, I can't think whereabouts you are in the story, but it's worth hanging in there. At least I think so... but I loved it. Maybe you won't. And that's okay. :)

    I've sometimes thought it would have been cool to go into medicine. But my science grades were never good enough, and I'm not passionate enough about it to put in the hours medical doctors commit to their work. At least as a writer I can write stories about doctors if I want, so I get to "be" a doctor without the long hours and spending money on medical school...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll keep going. :) I've always been a fast paced kind of reader and with the book having two narratives I'm guessing as soon as their stories come together things will flow.

      Delete
  2. I went on a total Ancestry.ca kick not all that long ago. I, too, ran into some issues with tracking down ancestors. I think 'James Morrow' from Armagh, Ireland is just WAY too common a name for that time period. Kind of frustrating because I'd love to go further back. I did have some luck when I was trying to find info about ancestry on familysearch.org. (It's a site run by the Mormons, though I'm not Mormon. I guess they keep really good records.)

    I still have to read LEVIATHAN, so I hope it picks up for you. You'll have to keep us posted on that, because I'm curious to know if it's worth it or not. And yay for edits that are going well! What a relief, hey? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one Irish surname that unfortunately had different variations or was spelt differently to what it it's like now. I keep being told to go on that website. Hopefully I'll get more luck there for those mysterious Irish ancestors!

      Delete
  3. Uuuugh trying to trace the Irish side of our family is impossible because they all have the same damn names. The blokes are all Michael and the women are all Bridget and I am not kidding. And with a surname as blah as Burke... yeah, we're stuck.

    Glad to hear you had a good half term ^_^ Not long 'til summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to look up Coleman... who *didn't* have that surname?!

      Delete
    2. Seriously, people back then should've been more mindful of the future and mixed it up a bit.

      Delete