Social Icons

29 Apr 2013

Y is for... Younger Self

Yesterday I was reading Phoebe North's post on YA Highway about the writing you did when you were younger. It got me thinking about all the cringe worthy stories I wrote.  The awful supernatural series that was nothing but drama and cliches.  The three little dolls who came to life at night called Molly, Polly, and Dolly.  That bloody puppy who kept getting lost and having different adventures.

I definitely wrote some right crap when I was younger.  Maybe I still do but I'm not published so I'll have to wait to find that out. ^^

So if I could give any advice to my younger writer self this would probably be it.

1) Flaw those characters!
2) Please stop describing every character's appearance as soon as they say something.
3) Go look up an author called Stephen King.  Also buy his book called On Writing. When you're 23 you're going to want to have wished you had these tips ages ago.
4) You're very afraid of killing your darlings at this point.  I know you love them but get some writer balls and do it. You're writing horror anyway.  It's a very unforgiving and merciless genre.

If you could give your younger writer self any advice what would it be?


9 comments:

  1. Not every scene needs to end in a bar fight. I found an old fantasy story I wrote around 15 or 16 and wow I swear somehow they were always in some kind of three on two fight by the end of a scene. Maybe I had to get some aggression out. lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, good way of getting aggression out though! ^^

      Delete
  2. Ooooooooh gosh. Where to begin? I think I'll settle on telling my self sentences don't need to be thirty words long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think used to go in for some really long sentences. Now I can be quite abrupt and short. Must get a balance!

      Delete
  3. Of course, my younger self IS 23! (Thanks for making me feel old, Robin... ;) ). I would tell myself to add some good fiction to the non-fiction diet, and it's okay to write fiction. In fact, I need to write a lot more fiction to make me a better writer overall. That, along with some slaps upside the head and telling myself not to be such an idiot. I could go back through the last 25 years doing that a number of times. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, sorry Colin.

      I think I would have opposite advice for myself. Get some more non-fiction. You can get so many ideas from reading a few non-fiction books. :)

      Delete
  4. Eat less... Just discovering your blog for the first time as I make my way through the A-Z Challenge. Please check us out and sign up to follow if you like what you see. Juliet atCity Muse Country Muse

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd tell my younger self to WRITE IT DOWN. I conjured worlds in my head, but I never sat down and wrote it. Just thought it.

    ReplyDelete