Social Icons

19 Apr 2013

Q is for Queen

One of my favourite events at school is World Book Week and for one day in that week we celebrate children's literature staff and children all dress up as fictional characters.  One slight problem is that it's a tad uncomfortable for teachers to properly dress up so we tend to choose characters that are easy to portray without having to go all the way.

This year I kept with Alice in Wonderland characters and went dressed at the Queen of Hearts.  Costume wise I stuck with red and black clothes, red top and black long skirt that looked quite Queen-like.  As for make-up so people had an idea of who I was dressed up as:

I found this fantastic headband with hearts around which I used as a crown and kept with red and black make-up.  Dramatic eyes, dramatic black eyebrows and these black branches with hearts on the end down my face.  I quite liked the claw effect it also gave. Very villain-y.  I love an excuse for fancy dress but there's no way I can get a proper costume when I'm working with young children so I tend to go for children's characters where I can use what I got to take part and still look like I've made an effort for a laugh.

I think it's mainly a UK/Ireland thing but does anyone else celebrate World Book Day or some other version of it? What children's character would you have gone for?

4 comments:

  1. I probably wouldn't dress up--not my thing. Sorry. Yeah, old fuddy-duddy. :) Your Queen of Hearts look is quite effective. What I'm intrigued to know is, if you had been one of the kids, who would you have dressed up as? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo interesting question. :) I always wanted an Alice costume when I was younger. I think I would have gone as her. Looks like I've always had a fascination with Alice in Wonderland.

      Delete
  2. I'm not sure that World Book Day is a big thing in the states, but I wish it was so I could dress up! I work with older kids, so I'd probably go with someone from Harry Potter - maybe Hermione since I'm basically her, anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, it's such a great celebration. :) A lot of the children come as superheroes and princesses but quite a few parents really make the effort and get them dressed up as book characters.

      Delete