Social Icons

15 Apr 2013

M is for... More Than You Can Juggle...

It was a hard decision to make and I'm already feeling slightly guilty over it but today I did something that goes against my every character.

I'm not to going to complete a project.  At least for now.

This year I started out in a huge writing mode.  I began a 100k in 100 days challenge.  I didn't reach my target but this is what I got done:

1) X1 Finished first draft for Inside the Broom Closet.
2) 30K in round two/three of edits for Beast Inside.

And in my NaNo project I'm16k in. 

I was looking forward to having the first two weeks off in April so I could get a good head start.  What I didn't expect was getting a sinus infection for the first week that left me bedridden and having so much to do in the second week when we went up to the boyfriend's parent's home in Darlington.  It hasn't been a holiday where I've been able to relax and rest.  So naturally in this NaNo project I've been behind and trying to desperate catch up on my word count while also making sure I've got posts ready for this A-Z challenge.

Cue an insane amount of headaches.

I hope this post isn't sounding like a rant or a whine.  It isn't.  I do have a point to it.

I stopped my NaNo project, I'm resting, and I'm going to be very glad that I did it.  Because, honestly, I've pushed a lot of projects onto myself for the beginning of this year and the lesson to be learnt is... sometimes you really need to take a step back and rest.  Sometimes your body needs to chill out and rest so listen to it.  I love writing.  But if it's getting to a point where I'm getting headaches, losing sleep because of how much time I've spent looking at a bright screen, and struggling to juggle too many things at once it is so not worth it.  Rest.  Leave it for a while.  It's not quitting.  It's not giving up.  I'm just going to concentrate on the blogging challenge and properly take a break from everything writing and blogging in May. 

Seriously, don't stress yourself out with projects.  Have some 'you' time and don't feel guilty at all.

14 comments:

  1. This is a pretty timely post for me tonight. I've been doing this not so much about my writing, but about my blog. I'll have to take a page from your book!

    Glad you're feeling better and don't wear yourself out. There is always time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes priorities are needed and you can't make all of them number one. :)

      Delete
  2. It can be such a hard thing to admit, but knowing you need to take a break and then actually taking the break is the best thing you do do for yourself.

    Sorry you've been so ill! I hope you're all better now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. It absolutely killed me to cancel because I'm just not a quitter. But I'm glad I did because my head's felt so much better since putting the WiP aside and concentrating on less things.

      Delete
  3. Just stopping by from the A-Z Challenge list to say "Hi" :)

    I did exactly the same with one of my Nano novels.....but, i went back to it a year later because it was bugging me lol. Good luck with it.

    Good luck with the rest of the challenge.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, hun. :) I did that with the first project I wrote about. I spent ages on it, struggled and came back to it with NaNo 2011 and it felt so much easier to write. A break's just needed sometimes. :)

      Delete
  4. Yes, rest up, Robin. And don't forget, blogging is writing too! It's not the same, but it's not like you're taking a month off writing altogether.

    You're doing great with the challenge, btw. I'm enjoying your posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much. Really enjoying this challenge. It's helped to think about things to write about. :)

      Delete
  5. Your health should always be your number one priority. We all take on more than we can manage. Once we find the balance, things begin to work out. Hang in there. The A to Z challenge is more than enough to add to your plate for one month. It is better to do less and actually get something done than to be midway through a million unfinished projects. I know from personal experience.

    Hi, I am your newest follower from the A to Z challenge. I am number 528 on the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admire that you remembered your number! I couldn't find mine at all in that long list!

      Delete
  6. Great advice! I hate not finishing things I start but I felt worse from the pressure of Nanowrimo 2011 that I thought I would by not finishing. I didn't think 2012 was going to end any better but it did! Take care of yourself! Stopping by from a-z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NaNo's a lot of fun but when it feels like you have to complete the task and win I think that's when people need to step back and take a break. Glad 2012 went well!

      Delete
  7. You'll be a better writer in the long run. Our bodies will not let us ignore their need for rest and recuperation. Many blessings on your writing! Pam at 2 Encourage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The WiP should hopefully be a lot better when I'm not stressing out over it. :) One of my new mottos: never write stressed and tired! ^^

      Delete