Social Icons

5 Apr 2013

E is for... End of the World

How many films and books have been about the end of the world? Whether it's a zombie apocalypse, Mother Nature teaching a lesson, viruses, alien invasion... we've seen the world collapse and society die in a million and one ways.

Like found footage films I'm a sucker for end of the world type films.  I actually think it can be used for great character development.  Seeing people who probably would have never said 'hi' to each other on the street working together and I love it.  It's interesting to see how people will suddenly work together to survive.  You get the complete opposites working together.  Survivors in the most unlikely characters. 

And there's so much to get used to.  The end of the world can take you back to basics.  No technology, no way of contacting others, finding your own food.  If there are illnesses soon enough the medicine we use now will go out of date or we'd run out.  What happens then?  Maybe turning to more natural remedies for help and learning how to hunt for your own food.  But the question is: would you manage it? Could your characters survive?


8 comments:

  1. I have no idea! I guess because I live in the now...present, and don't have an interest in the end of the world, I don't think I have ever given that any thought! I feel I am surviving each day already! Lol....maybe that is why! www.sandysanderellasmusings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing is a lot of the apocalypse scenarios you see in fiction are things that you probably wouldn't expect to happen in real life. In reality we get so many bogus stories about the world ending it just goes over our heads now. :)

      Delete
  2. End of the world scenarios are, I think, so appealing, because I think deep down, as invincible as we think we are, we know life is extremely fragile. We know viruses can adapt to our medicines, ubiquitous technology could be turned against us in devastating ways (last Saturday's Doctor Who?), even things like the decreasing birth rate in China and the US--are we killing ourselves off? And then there's the ever-present fear of the unknown: alien invasion, natural disaster, rocks hitting us from space...

    For the paranoid, all this is fuel for fear. For the writer, this is all great story material! ;)

    Would I survive? I can't honestly say I would give much thought to my own survival in such a situation, but that comes from my overriding worldview. My characters... mmm, that's a different story. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha couldn't have said it better myself. :) I think fiction like this helps us stop from getting a bit too big headed. ^^

      Delete
  3. I think I would survive, but I would hope I wouldn't have to find out. I also love these type of stories. Sometimes wonder if they come from fear or a place of feeling disconnected with the world. If you look at most of thee movies and books it's like you said it becomes a story of people working together and finding strength in each other.

    As far as my characters it depends on which ones, I am almost positive the ones from ELEMENTAL would, some of them may have even caused the problem, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have twitter and facebook yet how much do we talk online to people than in real life? :)

      Haha, your characters sound interesting if they could cause a dilemma like that. ^^

      Delete
  4. In the event the world as we know it does end, I would not survive at present. But I'm working on that actually!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I'm not sure about myself either at the moment. I'd like to hope I could survive!

      Delete