Social Icons

2 Apr 2013

A-Z Blogging Challenge: B is for Bookish Boyfriends

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish.  Each week a bookish question is asked and participants are asked to list their top ten choices related to that question.

This week:

Top Ten Five Characters I Would Crush On If I Were Also A Fictional Character

 The thing is I'm quite fussy over male fictional characters.  The ones who are supposed to be the attractive, poster boy one I never like.  I really go for the geeky, underdog male characters and sadly there aren't a lot of them in fiction.  I also have to do my little bit of cheating and go for male characters in TV/film as well.

Photo credit
So I really have a list of five rather than ten:

1) Simon Lewis
Vampire or human I loved Simon Lewis.  He's a brave fighter with hardly any skills but when he found about the hidden demonic world around him he decided to stick by Clary and the verbally abusive Jace and try to help out when he could.  He was the geeky and loyal best friend whose love for Clary was doomed to be unrequited.  
Photo credit
2) Ron Weasley
Hermione had the brains.  Harry had the destiny.  And poor Ron was constantly overshadowed by them both, poor and awkward but he was a committed, loyal friend who never gave up on Harry and always stuck by him to battle Voldemort.  His talents in chess helped Harry get through the chessboard in the first book.  There were a lot of people around Ron who had already done so well and while he had his skills he constantly felt they would go unnoticed because of his older brothers and his two best friends.
3) Nathan Caulfield
Nathan was my favourite boy and LI out of Kody Keplinger's novels.  The Duff had Wesley Rush who was a complete douche and play boy, someone who wasn't at all attractive.  Shut Out had Cash Sterling who was nicer than Wesley but still didn't capture my interests.  And then A Midsummer's Nightmare came out.  Ironically not my favourite but had my favourite male character: Nathan Caulfield.  Exactly what I love to see in a male character, especially a LI.  He was a geeky, friendly guy who was very close to his family and protective over his little sister.  He was used by the female protagonist Whitley and treated like dirt but he was still ready to forgive and help.  I thought he was a terrific character and someone I would definitely have a crush on if I was a fictional character.  He was just so genuine and there was nothing rude or bad mannered about him.  Just a really nice guy.  All I need.
Photo credit
4) Puck
A comical best friend and protector to Meghan Chase the female protagonist of the Iron Fey series.  Known to her as Robbie Goodfell he is actually the fairy known as Robin Goodfellow, a mischievous troublemaker but a loyal friend who, although reluctantly, helps Meghan in the search to find her little brother.  He's the comical, breath of fresh air character that you need when things start getting too serious.  

5) Cas Lowood
Yeah, he may be prone to a lot of swearing but Cas is a brave ghost hunter who chose to do this.  Travelling around with his mother all the time Cas has never really had time for relationships, romantically or platonically.  But when he teams up with telepathic Thomas and Queen Bee Carmel to stop a murderous ghost nicknamed Anna Dressed in Blood he grows into a loyal friend who is worried about his friends dying or getting hurt but comes to accept them as allies, ones that could help as well.  Cas is always ready to face things, even when they start to get pretty terrifying for him.  

Who would you pick as a book crush?

15 comments:

  1. The only one I know from this list is Ron Weasley, so good choice there! I tend to go with the less popular characters too, though usually it's a misunderstood guy with a mysterious past, like Regular Black.

    Great list, looking forwards to seeing what you do for C! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depends on how misunderstood they are for me. If they're the sort of guy who acts rude and tough but it's supposedly because they're really vulnerable and insecure I'm more inclined to give him a slap. I can't stand guys who have clearly let their issues in the past get to them and be a jerk to people as a result. Give me a loyal, geeky guy any day! =D

      Delete
  2. I'd pick Catcher from The Dead-Tossed Waves/Dark and Hollow Places, St. Clair from Anna, Cricket from Lola and Joe from The Sky is Everywhere! I can have four, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will, for obvious reasons, decline from answering your question :) but I will say you have some interesting choices (and reasons for those choices) here, Robin--yes, I know 3 of your 5! Granted, I read ANNA based on your recommendation (and enjoyed it), and who *hasn't* read HARRY POTTER?! Still... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harry Potter is one of those have-to-read books. It was a whole generation's phenomenon. How could you not give it a go? :)

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed Puck in his series. You're so right about him being the comical breath of fresh air. But I know I would totally be crushing on Ash instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have Ash and I'll take Puck. ;) Ash in all honestly gave me the creeps. If a guy came up and said he'd kill me I think I'd scream for the police! And knee him where it hurts haha.

      Delete
  5. I don't think any of my favourite male characters would make good boyfriends, but my younger self would definitely have liked to hang out with Ron more than Harry.
    -Kirsten
    (Just Ermie & Short Story Ideas)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, oddly enough there's not a lot of fictional males out there who would make good boyfriends. A lot of them really disturb me or piss me off.

      Delete
  6. Mmm... I have a few, but interestingly, most of them come from books that haven't been published yet. :-)

    My Writing Blog
    My Life Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'm surprised I even found some crush worthy guys in a book. ^^

      Delete
  7. I really can't think of a book crush I've had, but Ron was always my favourite out of the Hogwarts gang!

    Coffintree Hill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was awesome! And people always underestimated him but he was just as talented as his friends. After all he got chosen as a prefect and to be in Gryffindor.

      Delete
  8. Never thought of this before, but what jumps into my mind is all the kids in Swallows and Amazons (yes, I'm ancient!). John for loyalty and intelligence, Roger for joie de vivre, Susan for being caring, and most of all Titty, for her imagination

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John sounds like my kind of fictional guy. :) I'll check it out.

      Delete