Social Icons

11 Mar 2013

Write and Tell?

I've been editing during lunch hours at the moment and I feel dead awkward when the colleagues I work with in our class ask about it.  They know I write but they're pretty much the only two people in the school who know I do and would like to be published.  I wasn't really keen on telling them what I was doing in the first place.

Would you tell your work colleagues that you write and want to/have been published?

I don't think I would at my work.  In education I do feel like I'd have to be careful about my writing.  I write YA. YA Horror specifically with gore, monsters, violence and swearing.  I wouldn't want that to be known just in case there were parents who would think it was inappropriate for me to write horror and teach young children at the same time.  Not that I'm going around telling ghost stories to children but some parents can be funny about things like this.  So I do think if I ever got published I would actually keep it a secret at work.  Friends and family sure but I don't think I'd tell people at work. 

I'd love to hear your opinion, especially if you work or have worked in education before whether it's primary or secondary.  To anyone who doesn't work in education, are you open about your writing and/or published work?

3 comments:

  1. I'm in college currently, and I avoid explaining to my professors that I want to write and exactly what kind of writing I want to do. It's not that I'm ashamed, it's just that they are pretty much the very opposite of my target audience, and they know that... It's really tricky sometimes, though, because they all have perfectly good reasons to sit down and ask me, "So, Susan, what exactly do you want to do with your life again?" And I'm all like, "Ummm *squirm*...."

    My opinion: If it makes you uncomfortable to talk about it with certain people, and it's not destructive in any way if you withhold that information, then don't tell them. Writing induces enough insecurity without having to withstand the scrutiny of people who are merely curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, "kind of writing I want to do"=the kind of writing I DO do, every day...

      Delete
  2. I completely understand where you're coming from on this Robin. In fact, your situation was one that I never really gave much thought to until we did that Road Trip Wednesday on pseudonyms last year. When you feel you need to draw a line between your work life and your writing life, it makes sense to adopt a pen name and not tell anyone at work.

    For me, I'm not actively telling anyone. I tell people I enjoy writing, and if anyone asked me what I've written, I'd tell them I've written a couple of unpublished novels, a number of theological papers, and I have a blog. But no-one has cared to ask, so I'm not volunteering that information. There's a lot of misunderstanding around the topic, and if I go around saying "I'm a novelist!" people will assume I'm published, etc. You know the score. :)

    ReplyDelete