Social Icons

20 Mar 2013

RTW - A YA Retelling

Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.
 
This Week's Topic:
This month's Bookmobile selection, The Madman's Daughter by Megan Shepherd, is inspired by The Island of Doctor Moreau, and its sequel takes inspiration from the Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. What other novellas would you like to see inspire YA books?

I actually think The Turn of the Screw could make an interesting YA retelling.  I know I didn't finish the book.  I do actually like the story because I've enjoyed a couple of film and TV adaptation but it was the writing, especially the use of punctuation that I couldn't really keep going with.

(From Goodreads) It is the story of a Governess who comes to live with and take care of two young children. The Governess loves her new position in charge of the young children, however she is soon disturbed when she begins to see ghosts.

I think this story could fit in well in a modern setting and with teenage characters.  It's not unusual for teenagers to babysit so it would be easy to modernise the role of a Governess and explain why she is caring for two strange children.  Actually... I think the ideas are kicking in...

14 comments:

  1. Yeah... I can see where you could run with this. James's story was good, but I would look forward to reading your adaptation... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your review of The Turn of the Screw took the words right out of my mouth. You did better than I did with reading the book. I couldn't even finish it because of the author's style of writing in that novella.

      Still, the plot is interesting and it translates well onto screen which keeps me quite entertained. Definitely a good plot idea worth retelling. :)

      Delete
  2. Nice! That would be a cool adaptation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would be pretty cool. :) Gets a bit of psychological horror on those YA shelves. ^^

      Delete
  3. I haven't read this, but based on the summary, I need to. And I would definitely read a YA adaptation :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely check it out if you're interested. Have to say the plot was interesting and creepy. :)

      Delete
  4. Sounds good...I would read it! If you like this kind of story, try Jane by April Lindner. She wrote a modern day Jane Eyre; it was very good. I even did a book review on my blog for it when it first came out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oo thanks for the recommendation! =D

      Delete
  5. Oooh! I've never read this, but now I'm going to check it out soon. The story sounds like it would make an excellent YA adaptation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, definitely give it a go. =D It's an interesting story.

      Delete
  6. I've only ever seen a movie of The Turn of the Screw, but I have to agree that it would make a great YA retelling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I love seeing modern twists to classics. TotS would be perfect for YA.

      Delete
  7. Stopping by to welcome you on board the A to Z Challenge April 2013.
    Look forward to your challenge posts!

    Twitter: @AprilA2Z
    #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks! Looking forward to participating. :)

    ReplyDelete