Social Icons

27 Mar 2013

RTW - Best Book of March



Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.


This Week's Topic:
Best Book of March! 

This month has been another slow reading month while I still focus on my writing.  April probably will be too so May can be used to catch up on my reading.  This month I’ve got two books on my list (although I’m still reading the second!).  Scarlet by Marissa Meyer and The Madman’s Daughter by Megan Shepherd.  

And the winner…

Scarlet by Marissa Meyer.

Meyer's world grows more and more sinister with each book.  Levana has been keeping a lot of things quiet on Luna and Earth and at the moment it looks like she might actually get what she wants.  Cinder is on the run in the hope to find answers about Princess Selene, picking up an ally in the form of a comical, self-proclaimed Captain who takes away the seriousness at times.  Something I’m grateful for.  We all need a giggle when things are rough.  

The POV changes between Cinder’s next journey and new protagonist Scarlet who’s own little adventure is happening around the same time as Cinder’s.  Compared to our favourite cyborg Scarlet practically barges into this story, shouting and screaming with fists flying.  Don’t get on the wrong side of this fiery red head.  I loved her.  She didn’t allow anybody to mess with her and once she set her mind on something she was going to do it.  Scarlet was a very lonely character.  Absent father, missing grandmother, and the police were doing nothing about the disappearance of the old woman she cared deeply for.  She was by herself in this situation so she might as well take matters into her own hands.  She’s a girl who doesn’t give up and it’ll be interesting to see how she bonds with Cinder who at times could be quite reluctant in terms of her abilities.  She’ll need Scarlet for encouragement and determination when she may lack in it.

I wasn't sure about the changing POVs.  I was curious about Scarlet yet I did want to find out more about Cinder’s next journey.  But it did feel like the two girls were battling for the spotlight and I was reading two separate stories which sort of killed the flow for me.  Maybe another short prequel on Cinder’s story might have been better.  In the end it was all about Cinder while Scarlet darted into the background, just when she reached a turning point in her story and finding answers to everything.  I do wonder what the POVs will be like when we’re introduced to Cress and Winter.  Maybe it might be too much? We’ll see how it goes.  

I also wasn’t keen on the relationship between Wolf and Scarlet.  A bit too rushed for my liking and very much insta-love which I’m not a fan of to begin with.   There are two books left in the series.  I’m sure we could have waited for a bit more development between the two.

Wolf was a complicated character who you can’t help question throughout the novel.  You like him but is it all an act or is he being true to Scarlet? You’re unsure yet you can’t help but fall for his clueless, awkward charm.  Still, is he a wolf in disguise? He’s an interesting male character who has been messed with and used.  Just as lost as Scarlet.  Kai, Captain Thorne, Wolf… they’re all charming male characters with differing personalities and have their own plots without being overshadowed by the girls.  Poor Kai, the new emperor, is still troubled with the challenges he faces as ruler and while he tries his best to ensure peace continues you can tell just how young, inexperienced, and lost he is.  Thorne is a flirty, playboy(so he thinks) who has his own history and secrets.  Potential for development? I hope so.  I’d love to find out more about him.  There’s definitely more this character.

Will I keep reading the series? Of course! 


8 comments:

  1. High-five! I loved SCARLET. I didn't have as much of a problem with the shifting POV. Having two characters with separate story-lines that converge at some point in the novel was always going to be a challenge. I think Marissa rose to the challenge very well. It will be interesting to see what she does with Cress and Winter. We've already met them, but how will she present their stories? Perhaps since Scarlet and Cinder share the same story line now, we'll still be dealing with only two threads, not three? And, yes, I see your point about the insta-love, but I think I was willing to forgive it because a) the romance wasn't central to the plot, and b) everything else about the story was so good!

    An excellent choice, Robin. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that's really me being fussy. ^^ You know what I'm like with insta-love. Insta-gag.

      I was glad when the two characters merged so I do get why there were two different POVs. Just that I was sort of glued on Scarlet's story so when there was a cliffhanger to her tale I was like, "No! Want More!".

      But it still made best book. :) I adore this series. It's retelling at its best. Meyer turns these fairy tales into her own story so easily. At the moment I can't really say the same for The Madman's Daughter that I'm reading at the moment.

      Delete
  2. So far I've read three rave reviews for SCARLET. Am I the only one who bought it but hasn't read it? *Hangs head.

    I guess, I'll have to bump Delirium and read SCARLET instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I only just got round to it. It hasn't been out that long anyway. :)

      I think I bumped most of my potential next reads of the shelf to be replaced by Scarlet. I couldn't wait!

      All I can say is that you wouldn't regret it. If you read and loved Cinder this sequel won't disappoint. :)

      Delete
  3. SCARLET is a popular book this month! Obviously I need to get out and pick up CINDER...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, this is the 3rd Scarlet nomination I've seen. Ok, ok, I'm going to grab a copy finally, I mean it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I AGREE. This was a fabulous, entertaining read. I got such a kick out of Thorne.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you too on SCARLET! I enjoyed it even more than CINDER. A couple of days ago I actually got to meet Marissa Meyer at a book signing, which was awesome.

    I wonder too what'll happen once more POVs get added in the next books. I thought she meshed Cinder and Scarlet's stories well in SCARLET, but more POVs could get complicated!

    ReplyDelete