Social Icons

13 Mar 2013

RTW - Bad Habits

Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.
 
This Week's Topic:
Spring cleaning! What do you hope to "clean out" from your writing? What habits/tropes/words, etc do you want to eliminate?
 
In my current edit of Beast Inside I'm noticing a lot of shrugging, grunting, and mumbling going on with my characters, especially Caleb and his younger brother Ricci.  Maybe Ricci doing it a lot is fine because he's an arse and going through a bit of a moody, rebellion stage at the mo but everyone needs to stop because they're starting to sound like cavemen.
 
I do notice my characters in any WiP like to pull faces a lot.  They grimace, cringe, glower, glare, gaze, stare, smirk, wrinkle their nose.  So I have twitchy characters.  Oops. *Face palm* Must teach them the art of being poker-faced sometimes. 
 
What are your bad habits? :)
 

3 comments:

  1. Oh what a fun topic! I might have to do a quickie post myself. I also find my characters do a lot of the same physical reactions to things. Those face reacations are great in moderation. When you get up to 75k + words sometimes there are more grimaces than you realize... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it's a great topic to make you think about what habits you have that could be dealt with. Great especially if you're editing at the moment. ^^

      It looks awful in my head when I try to imagine the scene visually and I'm picturing the characters constantly pulling these faces. Definitely need a cull on the physical reactions.

      Delete
  2. Oh man, I do this too!!

    Also my characters "grin" a TON, and I use the word "little" pretty much every other paragraph. LOL

    ReplyDelete