Social Icons

4 Mar 2013

Can You See The Bright Side?

Today I got an email about my last PGCE interview.  Didn't get in.  Sure I'm disappointed but after a while that started to disappear.  I thought about the pros to going back to work in September rather than university:

1) Next September I could have the chance to work in Key Stage 2 if I ask for that opportunity and see what years 3 to 6 are like.
2) Another year of experience.
3) Another year of earning.
4) I get to participate in the events and celebrations I love studying with the children at work again.
5) Another year to really get to know the wider issues, keep up to date with educational changes, and the jargon.

Being disappointed will just hold you back.  We're all going to be dealing with this.  As aspiring authors we're all hoping for that agent to get in touch either to say they want to represent you or that they're getting you published.

There'll be rejections.  But look on the bright side of it.  What can you do at the moment that authors can't? You don't have deadlines.  You have your personal one but your time and goals are your own.  You don't have to be fretting over sales.  You don't have to be fretting over bad reviews.  Take it as a chance to learn and see what agents are really looking for.  It's another chance to just improve what you already know and can do.  

We'll all get there.  Just don't let rejection hold you back and see the positive side to it.  

6 comments:

  1. You've got a great way of looking at things.

    And you're right - gaining more experience can only be a good thing. And who knows what the future holds? A friend of mine wound up teaching in China after he didn't make it onto a PGCE course.

    Life's all about the adventure and the unexpected!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it's been hard to but what's the point in sitting around and moping? It gives me a chance to do another year group in September which I'm really looking forward to now. :)

      Pete's been telling me maybe this is a sign to say that I can still concentrate on my writing and get that polished and sent off. Something I probably won't be able to do much with an intensive one year PGCE course. ^^ Who knows?

      Delete
  2. Such a good way to think about it, and I totally agree. Every time you get rejected for something is just another opportunity for you to take the time and improve. So that next time, you don't get rejected--or you get another, even better opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. :) It's not a personal attack. Just another chance to get better. Deffo something I'm going to do for my next PGCE application and I'd do it for any manuscript that got rejected. :)

      Delete
  3. Sorry you didn't get in, Robin, but you're right. We've to work with what we've got, not pine away our lives over what we want. That doesn't mean we can't plan and dream--and indeed, we should. We should always have something we're aiming toward. But we should be looking for ways to grow in the here-and-now, with the resources and opportunities already at our disposal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We still need our dreams to keep going. :)

      I'm guessing how hard it could be to try and get another story sorted when you're in the middle of publishing another one. At least when you're still querying and looking you have a chance to polish up other manuscripts in your own time. It would certainly be an advantage to have quite a few drafts done and polished when that first one is coming out. Less stress for sure.

      Delete