Social Icons

7 Mar 2013

Book Review: City of Glass by Cassandra Clare


 To save her mother's life, Clary must travel to the City of Glass, the ancestral home of the Shadowhunters - never mind that entering the city without permission is against the Law, and breaking the Law could mean death. To make things worse, she learns that Jace does not want her there, and Simon has been thrown in prison by the Shadowhunters, who are deeply suspicious of a vampire who can withstand sunlight.

As Clary uncovers more about her family's past, she finds an ally in mysterious Shadowhunter Sebastian. With Valentine mustering the full force of his power to destroy all Shadowhunters forever, their only chance to defeat him is to fight alongside their eternal enemies. But can Downworlders and Shadowhunters put aside their hatred to work together? While Jace realizes exactly how much he's willing to risk for Clary, can she harness her newfound powers to help save the Glass City - whatever the cost?

Love is a mortal sin and the secrets of the past prove deadly as Clary and Jace face down Valentine in the final instalment of the New York Times bestselling trilogy The Mortal Instruments.


While this world of Nephilim, downworlders, and demons are fascinating and well thought out Clare still puts me off with flowery prose, unlikeable main characters, and terrible focus.

This love triangle was another one that never worked for me and had me tearing my hair out.  Jace simply isn't likeable for me to care about him at all.  He's got a bad attitude and a venomous tongue, especially to Simon who does not deserve the prejudice views against him.  As a mundane he was put down by Jace and now as a vampire he's treated with absolute disgust by the blonde brat.  Clary is supposed to be Simon's best friend and not once do I ever see her stand up for Simon and put Jace in his place which someone needs to do desperately.

As a main character Clary is weaker than everyone else and I can understand that.  She hasn't had any special training.  But of course she is magically special and powerful, being able to cast runes despite having had no training.  These kind of characters really get to me because they've never had to work to be a fighter or control their powers.  They just get it all of a sudden and it's unrealistic.  We're diving into Mary Sue territory here.  I think Clary was the wrong MC in this book.  At the end of it she's hardly involved in anything.  She makes one speech and spends most of the end tied up and silenced.  She can't fight and because of that I felt I missed out on the battle and action. 

I gave this third book a chance because I wanted to finish this story.  I read books one and two a few years ago, had my issues with the overall writing, and left it.  After taking a break from this world and seeing that the film is actually happening I wanted to give book 3 a chance and see if anything improved but it didn't.  I don't know if I'd ever get round to any more of her books but they're definitely not at the top of my list.  I'm still interested in seeing the film in August but The Mortal Instruments is never going to be my favourite series.




2 comments:

  1. I've only read the first in this series and, like you, I appreciated the world Cassandra created, but couldn't abide the execution of the story. Too much fluff, and too many wooden characters. You did better than me, though, Robin--I have no desire at all to pick up books 2 and 3. There are, IMO, much better series out there (e.g., The Lunar Chronicles, Divergent, Shatter Me...) more worthy of my time.

    It's nice to know I'm not the only one who feels this way about this series. Especially when there's at least an agent, a publisher, and a Hollywood studio that disagree. Oh well; to each their own! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd take The Lunar Chronicles and Divergent over The Mortal Instruments any day. ^^

    Hollywood see cash cow. Like they did with Twilight. Some females do dig the love triangle thing. It's a total fantasy for them to have two guys lusting after you. Personally I can't see the fantasy there. I'd see it as annoying really. Couldn't put up with that type of drama in my life.

    The problem is that these writers create the same cocky mouthed brat who need a good kick up the arse. Jace is just plain rude and moody. I see that sort of boy at work and trust me I am not impressed by that kind of attitude. Boys like Jace need some bloody manners.

    ReplyDelete