Social Icons

13 Feb 2013

RTW: Loving It



Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.
 
This Week's Topic is: It's (the day before) Valentine's Day! Let's jump start the lovefest by blogging about what you love most about writing (and/or reading)!
 
I could probably write an essay explaining what I love about writing and reading.  Writing and reading are, especially writing, my life.  I couldn't see a future where I'm not writing or getting sucked into amazing new books. 
 
What I love the most about both are characters.  Creating them and reading about them.  There are so many that I care about in reading.  Tris (Divergent), Dodge (The Looking Glass Wars), Darren (The Saga of Darren Shan) etc.  I love being introduced to characters who I come to care about.  Who face a lot of shit and try to work past that.  I care when they're whole world could be or has been ruined.  Like Poppy in Night World who dreamt of her future yet fell victim to cancer at 16.  Mark Petrie in 'Salem's Lot who sees his whole town get slowly taken over by vampires. 
 
And I love creating them.  Especially a group of characters who have a strong friendship or sibling relationship and face abnormal threats.  You can't help but fall in love with your characters.  Even when you're putting them through hell you've brought them to life and worked hard to make them realistic.  You learn so much about them that they could almost be real life friends.   
 
You laugh with them, you cry with them, you feel embarrassed when they do etc.  And that's what I love.  Characters who you can share the journeys with. 

10 comments:

  1. When I'm reading, I want the characters in the books to come alive. I've read some books recently where the characters felt flat, more caricatures than real people. As a writer, I know how hard it is to write compelling characters. I don't know if I've really done that yet, and it's one of my writing challenges. So, yes, I too appreciate well-written characters. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's disappointing when that happens because if you don't care about the characters you're not interested in the plot going around them. I've read a few books where that happens as well. I still finish them but I'm never intrigued enough for the sequel if there is one.

      Delete
  2. I love characters too! It's sad sometimes to finish a book and realize they're not real!!
    =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I know. You grow so attached to them and the ending is just a horrible reminder that it was only a story. The world would be awesome though if some of these characters were real!

      Delete
  3. Oh, yes, the characters are everything! If I can fall in love with the characters, come to care about them, experience their emotions, I could just go on and on. Basically, great characters can make great reading. As for writing, I really love world building. It's amazing how many adventures I can go on from the worlds I build. Here's my RTW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo worlds are interesting too. Especially if they're fantasy because you can really get creative there! =D

      Delete
  4. Yes! My current WIP clicked for me because I love the characters. It makes a huge difference when you feel invested in your characters and treat them like they're real people. And like you say here, you share the journey with them. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really interesting about how a WiP goes well if you like the characters because I'm just reading Stephen King's On Writing and he didn't like Carrie at all. He felt she was too much of a victim. And I always thought a writer needs to care and love their characters. But he still understood her and why she was meek and scared. I guess if you at least understand the characters then the story will still work for you. I quite liked Carrie. Felt really sorry for her. :)

      Delete
  5. I also love it when a character sticks with you. You mentioned Divergent; the scene at the top of the John Hancock building is one I cannot forget; I always connect that with the character, how she felt at the top of the building.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cared for Tris a lot. She worked hard to become a Dauntless and faced her fears to find freedom and bravery. My favourite part was the pit and she volunteered to jump into it first despite all the insults she was getting because of her old faction. Go Tris!

      Delete