Social Icons

6 Feb 2013

RTW - Best Book of January

Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.

This Week's Topic is:
What's the best book you read in January?
 
January was a good month for reading and I managed to get through four novels.  Overall a good start for my 2013 reading challenge.  I decided to read:
 
1) The Iron King by Julie Kagawa
2) And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie
3) To Die For: Slumber Party and Weekend by Christopher Pike (Two novels in one)
 
I was entertained and enjoyed all four of them.  Really good books to start the year out with and I recommend all four of them.  But only one got the five stars and really stood out above the rest:
 
And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie
 
Before reading this I had already been introduced to some retellings of the book.  First the film Identity where ten people are isolated by severe weather conditions at a motel and are murdered one by one.  Then Ten by Gretchen McNeil which was very influenced by the Christie novel, involving teenagers isolated on an island and being bumped off one at a time.  The original novel and its retellings all had that slasher horror feel which I'm an absolute sucker for as well as being a murder mystery fan.  I love a good whodunit mystery.  Finally I bought the Wii game of And Then There Were None where the murderer has changed and a new character was made for it.  There I got a taste of what the novel was like and I succumbed to curiosity and borrowed my boyfriend's copy.  Luckily he had bought it previously on sale. 
 
The murderer is a clever psycho who has let years of murderous thoughts finally lead them into temptation and take the law into their own hands.  Murders that cannot be touched by authorities because of lack of evidence or murders that were committed indirectly by the culprits.  The victims are all led to Soldier Island through personal acquaintances, jobs, and agendas where one by one they fall victim to a twisted children's nursery rhyme called Ten Little Soldier Boys. 
 
Each character has done wicked deeds.  They have committed crimes that they cannot be sentenced with yet you feel fear with them.  As the number of guests decrease the sense of isolation increases.  You're just as suspicious and just as isolated as they are.  The killer never makes themselves known, lurking around in the shadows.  It is quick to be discovered that the murderer must be one of the guests and tension rises as the characters try to figure out which one of them is lying. 
 
It's a fantastic murder mystery and the first Agatha Christie novel that I've ever read.  I doubt it'll be my last.
 

6 comments:

  1. I have an Agatha Christie waiting on my Mp3 player for me, but I've yet to take the plunge. I'm not a huge mystery fan, but the classics are the classics...I keep telling myself to give her a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought I would go for an Agatha Christie novel. I'm not much of a classics person myself but the novel was an easy read and hooked you right in. I think it's definitely worth a go. :)

      Delete
  2. I don't think I've read an Agatha Christie yet. I have some, but she's one of those must-reads I haven't got around to yet. I'm definitely putting this one on the list, though. And perhaps taking a look at the Wii game! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a wonderful writer. Throughout the novel we get perspectives from each character which could be a challenge when you're entering the killer's p.o.v. But she doesn't let anything slip and makes everyone a suspect at some point. Brilliant at writing mystery.

      The Wii game was great. They change the killer so it doesn't spoil the book if you haven't read it. I'd say it was family friendly to play as well. :)

      Delete
  3. OOh - I didn't read your review because I am reading this book RIGHT NOW! But I'm glad to know you enjoyed it. I love me some AC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it! I never thought I could get into Agatha Christie but she's great with mysteries. Can't wait to read your thoughts on it too! =D

      Delete