Social Icons

27 Feb 2013

RTW - Best Book of February

Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.

 This Week's Topic is:
  What's the best book you've read in February?

February was a slow reading month.  In fact I haven't finished the book I've been reading yet.  This month was really about editing and writing so reading wasn't my top priority.

I've been reading On Writing by Stephen King and honestly, even if I had read more this month this would have been my favourite. I've been recommended it by so many bloggers and writers, all with great things to say about it so I finally got it off my shelf and started it.

I'm probably committing book vandalism here (at least in my boyfriend's eyes) but I've been highlighting away on all his great advice.  I love the mix of writing advice and his autobiography.  The way he tells it is itself a story with such vivid memories of how he came to be a writer.  And how much he struggled at first.  It's so realistic.  We see authors nowadays like Stephenie Meyer and JK Rowling who became instant hits.  And that's the image people may see of an author.  You write a book and it's worth millions.  But it isn't.  Stephen King is considered one of the world's greatest writers yet it took a few years to get on that road to success.  It didn't come straight away and I'm glad he wrote about that.

And that's my one and only best book of February. What's yours? :)

10 comments:

  1. An EXCELLENT choice! :D Seriously, though, it's a classic, a textbook, and needs to be read by every writer. And I'm glad you got around to reading it, Robin. I hope it proves to be helpful to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation. This is a book that will be kept on my shelf for the rest of my writing life. =D I'll be passing on the praises to get more people reading it.

      Delete
  2. ON WRITING is definitely in my favorite craft books pile! And highlight away! It's okay - I dog-ear sometimes. *ducks flying books*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I've done that as well! Highlighted and dog-eared. Thought my boyfriend was going to fall into a coma when he saw my copy! XD

      Delete
  3. On Writing is my favorite.

    I found you through the A-Z Challenge and look forward to reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following! :) Are you doing the challenge as well?

      Delete
  4. I really enjoyed 'On Writing' as well -- for the same reasons you mentioned. The autobiographical parts really helped tell the whole story of how he came in to writing, and how he pushed himself to improve his craft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like his advice. He makes a fair point with how serious you should be if you want to be a professional writer and published author. And I've been finding his grammar advice really helpful... one was quite different to what I had actually been taught at school! That was really interesting.

      Delete
  5. Hi Robin,
    I nominated you for the Liebster Award over on my blog.
    = )
    Jai

    ReplyDelete