Social Icons

23 Jan 2013

RTW - Getting the Giggles

Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.
 
This Week's Topic is:
Good for a laugh: who is your favourite comedian or funny book and/or movie?
 
I love comedy.  I love to laugh and enjoy a bit of silliness now and again.  One of my top treats would be going to the Edinburgh Comedy Festival or getting tickets to see Live at The Apollo. 
 
I couldn't name my ultimate favourite comedian.  There are quite a few I love:
 
Russell Howard
 
I'm in a fit of giggles every time I watch Russell Howard's Good News.  He was originally a regular comedian on Mock the Week which is quite similar to the aim of his show: taking the news and mocking the hell out of it. 
 
 
John Bishop
 
One of the most down to earth comedians.  His comedy involves mainly hilarious anecdotes that have happened to him in the past, occasionally mocking aspects of married life and getting older.  For a couple of seasons he hosted John Bishop's Britain where he had a British theme each week that he'd turn into comedy.  I'm desperately waiting for another.
 


 
Dylan Moran
 
Black Books is genius.  It really is.  Teaming up with Bill Bailey and Tamsin Greig the team of Bernard Black, Manny, and Fran usually spend their days getting into trouble and drinking wine than actually running a bookshop.  Dylan Moran's stand-up is just as hilarious.  This is one of my favourite clips where he discusses dance music:
 
 
 
For comedy fiction, the best person to turn to is Terry Pratchett, the King of Satire.  His Discworld novels take the folklore, religion, media, and books in our world and use them not just to weave his own world but to parody them.  My favourite has to be Carpe Jugulum where Terry Pratchett mocks the nature of these "modern" vampires who come to Lancre.  There's a whole parody about the nature of newer generation vampires who prefer to call themselves Tracey than the old-school vampire who had exotic names and were bloodthirsty counts.  Reminded me a lot of the change of vampires in fiction.  So long Lestat and Dracula where you liked to be regal and bloodthirsty, hello Edwards and Emmets who don't seem to connect to any vampire superstition at all. 
 
 
And my three top comedy films:
 
 
1) Murder by Death
 
A murder mystery that parodies the concept of And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie with a cast of characters who also satirise famous fictional detectives.  Absolutely ridiculous but hilarious:
 

 
2) The Dream Team
 
Four mental patients are taken on a trip to see a baseball game in NYC.  Their psychiatrist ends up in hospital, bent police officers are on their trail, and the Big Apple has these four wandering about.  Cue the comedy.
 

 
3) Mickey Blue Eyes
 
I adore Hugh Grant and this is my favourite film of his.  Grant plays a posh auctioneer who ends up getting into trouble with his future father-in-law's mafia relations.  My favourite scene has to be in the restaurant where he tries to talk like a New York gangster.
 

 
Any comedians and films/books you find funny?



6 comments:

  1. Yes, Terry Pratchett's books are frequently funny, and often clever in their satire. And I agree with you about Murder by Death. Great movie! It's been a long time since I saw Mickey Blue Eyes, but I do recall enjoying it. Speaking of Hugh Grant movies, Notting Hill has some good moments, too.

    Humour is so subjective, it's hard to do well. Movies like The Princess Bride fall into a unique category--there are very few people I know who don't find it funny. If William Goldman could bottle and sell that, he'd be set for life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found the book funnier but the comedy is still there in the film. Definitely with Prince Humperdinck. Chris Sarandon is poker-faced throughout the film but it worked so well with some of his comic lines. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love just about anything that Hugh Grant has ever been in. He's totally funny and charming. :) I think that's what makes the how "Fuhgettaboutit" part so darn hilarious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. He's brill! I love any film he's in. There's a charming quality to his acting and he's up for a laugh. You just fall in love with his work. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  5. I looooooove Russell Howard. Good News is one of my favourite shows.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been meaning to watch Black Books--I think I just have to convince my husband, because when I have time to actually sit and pay attention to TV, it's usually when we're watching together. And I'm definitely with you on Pratchett!

    ReplyDelete