Social Icons

16 Jan 2013

RTW - The Dream Bookshop

Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.
 
This Week's Topic is:
Imagine you get to open your own bookstore. What would it look like? What kinds of books would you sell?

Bernard Black is living my dream
I don't know if this is just a writer thing but as far as I knew almost everyone on my writing course (me included!) dreamt of owning our own bookstore.  I still have that dream.  I think it would be awesome to open one up and be surrounded by the smell of new books and wood polish all day on like the old libraries. 

Back in London we used to have a couple of awesome old libraries.  Unfortunately one of them got modernised and was built almost out of glass.  But Jubilee Gardens library and Greenford Library were these old buildings that had wooden shelves and smelled of dusty books and wood polish.

Greenford Library (photo credit)




I'd like a little corner bookshop, selling fiction and non-fiction, mainly fiction.  Maybe place it in small towns where there aren't any major brands around and more independent shops.  All age markets and genres would be sold although I wouldn't make a large paranormal romance/dark fantasy section like they do in the big brand bookstores.  I'd also be really tempted to make a little study in the back where I could write on lunch breaks or after the shop is closed.  On the shop floor I'd have cosy chairs where people could sit and read if they wanted to.  A cosy real life nook. :)

Oh and could I have my own Manny and Fran too? =D

4 comments:

  1. Placing your bookshop in a smaller town would be a great idea. I think too many of these big box bookstores devour the fun, creative stores. I'm guilty of shopping in big bookstores, but only because that's literally all that is available to us in our city of 90,000 people, which is totally bonkers. I can honestly say that I would frequent every bookshop dreamed up by our fellow RTWers today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of a little corner bookshop... but I don't think there would be enough room for all the books I'd want to stock! :) It would certainly be cheaper to run. And the study at the back--yes! Perhaps a series of cubicles: The Writer's Nook! (Yes, a deliberate play on your blog.) I'd visit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of a study in the back! What better inspiration could there be than being surrounded by other published books?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd be camped out every weekend in your bookstore writing ;)

    ReplyDelete