Social Icons

2 Jan 2013

RTW - Book of the Month

Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.
 
This Week's Topic is:
What's the best book you read in December?
 
December was a slow reading month.  Christmas and New Year are always filled with family get togethers as well as getting everything prepared for the holidays.  The only book I read in December was:
Seeing Redd by Frank Beddor
 
The sequel to The Looking Glass Wars was a fantastic read, introducing a new villain that is possibly more dangerous than Redd with their mind games and manipulation.  I really liked the relationship development between Alyss and Dodge.  There's no messing about.  While they're not desperately trying to get together because of other priorities they are not shy to admit their feelings for one another.  It was nice and honest.
 
Alyss continues to be an active heroine.  She protects her kingdom just as much as her guards do and uses her power to battle which she manages quite well.  A very intelligent FMC which I appreciated a lot. 
 
What was your best book of December?


3 comments:

  1. I'm not familiar with this series. Is it YA Fantasy? Just curious since the author is male. I haven't come across many male YA authors, particularly not in the YA Fantasy genre.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! I still haven't read the first one, despite the fact that I own it and that you've raved about it before. I think I need to spend some time combing my shelves for TBRs before I buy a bunch more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Colin, I know it's definitely fantasy. I did find and buy it in the YA section but Alyss is in her twenties so I'm really not sure. Still, it's a pretty awesome series.

    Jaime, that's another resolution of mine. ^^ Don't buy anymore books until I've got through most of my TBR. Of course if a sequel to a book I've read pops up I'll make an exception but I'll try to be good.

    ReplyDelete