Social Icons

4 Dec 2012

TTT - Book list for Santa

Now that NaNo is over I can go back to doing TTT which I missed.  But a blogging break was needed.  To get into the Christmas mood this week's Top Ten Tuesday is:
 
Top Ten Books I Wouldn't Mind Santa Bringing Me
 

1) The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S Lewis

The Chronicles of Narnia, by C.S. Lewis, is one of the very few sets of books that should be read three times: in childhood, early adulthood, and late in life. In brief, four children travel repeatedly to a world in which they are far more than mere children and everything is far more than it seems. Richly told, populated with fascinating characters, perfectly realized in detail of world and pacing of plot, the story is infused throughout with the timeless issues of good and evil, faith and hope. This edition includes all seven volumes.

I've only read The Voyage of the Dawn Treader and The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe.  I'd love to have the whole collection to read.

2) Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers

Seventeen-year-old Ismae escapes from the brutality of an arranged marriage into the sanctuary of the convent of St. Mortain, where the sisters still serve the gods of old. Here she learns that the god of Death Himself has blessed her with dangerous gifts—and a violent destiny. If she chooses to stay at the convent, she will be trained as an assassin and serve as a handmaiden to Death. To claim her new life, she must destroy the lives of others.

Ismae’s most important assignment takes her straight into the high court of Brittany—where she finds herself woefully under prepared—not only for the deadly games of intrigue and treason, but for the impossible choices she must make. For how can she deliver Death’s vengeance upon a target who, against her will, has stolen her heart?


I'm seeing assassin nun and thinking: AWESOME!

3) The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter

EVERY GIRL WHO HAS TAKEN THE TEST HAS DIED.

NOW IT'S KATE'S TURN.

It's always been just Kate and her mom--and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear that her mother won't live past the fall.

Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerising. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld--and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.

Kate is sure he's crazy--until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride and a goddess.

IF SHE FAILS...


I'm in a real re-telling kind of mood at the moment.  This one sounded interesting.

4) Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce

Scarlett March lives to hunt the Fenris--the werewolves that took her eye when she was defending her sister Rosie from a brutal attack. Armed with a razor-sharp hatchet and blood-red cloak, Scarlett is an expert at luring and slaying the wolves. She's determined to protect other young girls from a grisly death, and her raging heart will not rest until every single wolf is dead.

Rosie March once felt her bond with her sister was unbreakable. Owing Scarlett her life, Rosie hunts ferociously alongside her. But even as more girls' bodies pile up in the city and the Fenris seem to be gaining power, Rosie dreams of a life beyond the wolves. She finds herself drawn to Silas, a young woodsman who is deadly with an axe and Scarlett's only friend--but does loving him mean betraying her sister and all that they've worked for?

Fairy tale retelling.  Again, I'm interested.

5) Invincible Summer by Hannah Moskowitz

Noah’s happier than I’ve seen him in months. So I’d be an awful brother to get in the way of that. It’s not like I have some relationship with Melinda. It was just a kiss. Am I going to ruin Noah’s happiness because of a kiss?

Across four sun-kissed, drama-drenched summers at his family’s beach house, Chase is falling in love, falling in lust, and trying to keep his life from falling apart. But some girls are addictive....

Not your typical beach read.


I enjoyed Break so I'd like to read more from Hannah Moskowitz.

6) Make-up (Trade Secrets of the Professionals) by Kit Spicer

I've flipped through this book at Waterstones and would love it! It gives you tips on the best way to applying make-up and you can find out which colours and what styles suit your facial features and colourings. 

7) The Hairy Dieters: How to Love Food and Lose Weight by Dave Myers, Si King

I love the Hairy Bikers.  They don't mess around with this fancy looking food other chefs faff about with.  They'll give you tips and recipes for making the perfect fry-up.  Proper and delicious food.  For this newest edition they give you recipes that you thought you'd have to give up if you're dieting.  It's not like your normal diet.  The Hairy Bikers give you tons of recipes that allow you to eat the food you love but advise you on how to make it healthier.  I have a goal to drop to a size 10 in 2013 so this book would be very much welcomed under the Christmas tree!

8) The Hairy Bikers' 12 Days of Christmas: Fabulous Festive Recipes to Feed Your Family and Friends by Dave Myers, Si King 

Christmas recipes from the Hairy Bikers? Yes, please! =D

9) The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

It’s just a small story really, about among other things: a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery....

Narrated by Death, Markus Zusak’s groundbreaking new novel is the story of Liesel Meminger, a young foster girl living outside of Munich in Nazi Germany. Liesel scratches out a meagre existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist – books. Soon she is stealing books from Nazi book-burnings, the mayor's wife's library, wherever they are to be found.

With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, Liesel learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbours during bombing raids, as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement.

This is an unforgettable story about the ability of books to feed the soul.


I've heard that Death is the narrator which got me intrigued immediately.

10)  The Divergent Series 2-Book Collection (Divergent, #1-2) by Veronica Roth

Contains the complete text of Veronica Roth's #1 New York Times bestsellers, Divergent and Insurgent, as well as fifty pages of bonus content including author interviews and Q&A, discussion questions, a faction quiz, faction manifestos, a playlist, and more.

I have these two on Kindle but they're books that I would love to have on my shelf as well.  It's one of those situations where the kindle version isn't good enough.  I need the paperback and this collection sounds amazing.  Books 1 and 2 together along with bonus content? On the Christmas list! :)

Tell The Broke and The Bookish what you'd love for Christmas :) 

7 comments:

  1. The Book Thief is one of the best books I've ever read. Fantastic. I really liked Sisters Red too. Great list! I hope you get lots and lots of these.

    Lisa
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grave Mercy is one of my favorites of the year! It's so amazing! I hope Santa brings you lots of goodies! :)

    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  3. I own Narnia but didn't read all the stories in it too. Some just didn't grab me.
    I've heard a lot of good things about Grave Mercy.
    Oh, Sisters Red sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. At first I was surprised you hadn't read Narnia, but then I remembered that I was in my upper 20s before I read the set. My wife bought it for my birthday, and I read it in a week (a book a day). Excellent stuff!

    I think you'll enjoy THE BOOK THIEF. Making Death the narrator of the story was an inspired decision. It lends a unique perspective to the story.

    This is quite an eclectic list, Robin! I hope your Christmas stocking is filled with many, if not all, of these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved Narnia and Divergent books! And I'd love to get Goddess Test series as well... Great list.

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun list! Narnia is an amazing series. Book Thief is on my TBR list. Here's my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Goddess Test was a really fun book, and that Divergent/Insurgent set is wonderful!! I hope you get lots of these books for Christmas! :D

    Sierra @ Yearning to Read
    My TTT: http://yearningtoread.blogspot.com/2012/12/top-ten-tuesday-books-i-wouldnt-mind.html

    ReplyDelete