Social Icons

11 Dec 2012

TTT - Authors I've Been Introduced To

For this week's Top Ten Tuesday, The Broke and The Bookish have asked us to name:

Top Ten Favourite New-To-Me Authors I Read In 2012

1) Veronica Roth (Author of Divergent and Insurgent)
I read Divergent and Insurgent this year and loved both of them.  I loved the world that Roth created and can't wait for the final book next year. 

2) Kody Keplinger (Author of The DUFF, Shut Out, and A Midsummer's Nightmare)
Another author that I started reading this year.  I don't usually go straight for contemporary but I wanted to get some more of the genre on my TBR pile and liked the sound of Keplinger's books.  While the last two I read didn't match up to The DUFF I admire how the author isn't afraid to write what she wants.

3) Marissa Meyer (Author of Cinder)
I snapped up Meyer's debut novel Cinder this year and loved it.  A mix of sci-fi, fantasy, and fairy tale which I loved and thought the combination worked really well.  Can't wait for Scarlet!

4) Gretchen McNeil (Author of Ten)
I read my first Gretchen McNeil book this Halloween.  Ten was a fantastic murder mystery/slasher novel.  Must get my hands on Possess!

5) Frank Beddor (Author of The Looking Glass Wars trilogy)
I came across The Looking Glass Wars in my local Waterstones and was intrigued by the unique spin on Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.  Loved it! I've scooped up Seeing Redd and Arch Enemy and can tell this is going to be one of my favourite series.  Beddor became a favourite author immediately.

6) Kendare Blake (Author of Anna Dressed in Blood and Girl of Nightmares)
I finally picked up both of Blake's Anna books after hearing so many recommendations and I'm glad.  Finally, some awesome YA Horror!

7) Suzanne Collins (Author of The Hunger Games trilogy)
I was really late getting into The Hunger Games and read all three for the first time this year.  While I disappointed with Mockingjay, I still enjoyed the series.

8) Hannah Moskowitz (Author of Break, Zombie Tag, Invincible Summer, and Gone, Gone, Gone)
I read Break in January and liked Moskowitz's style, especially with her male lead.  Break was a chaotic novel where the lead character's life spirals out of control, something he seems completely unaware of until it's almost too late.  I'd like to see what other issues Moskowitz deals with in her other books.

9) Victoria Schwab (Author of The Near Witch)
The Near Witch came out in 2011 but I was introduced to Victoria Scwab's debut novel during August and bought it for my Halloween TBR.  It wasn't the spookiest book I read and wouldn't consider it pure horror but the folklore of the Near Witch was both fantastical and eerie.  It got me interested enough to keep going and plan to read Scwab's future books.

10) Ransom Riggs (Author of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children)
I loved Riggs inclusion of photographs in the book.  I think it made the book seem like it could be real.  It helped add to any visuals I had of the novel when reading it.

3 comments:

  1. The Looking Glass Wars trilogy sounds so good! My TTT list: http://aliceinreaderland.wordpress.com/2012/12/10/top-ten-favorite-new-to-me-authors-i-read-in-2012/

    Alice @ Alice in Readerland

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marissa Meyer and Ransom Riggs were two of my discoveries this year, also. Both with alliterative names. Interesting. :) I would have to add to that list Tahereh Mafi (even though her name doesn't alliterate). I was so impressed with SHATTER ME. I'm sure there are others, but those are the ones that jump to mind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Veronica Roth, Marissa Meyer & Victoria Schwab are three authors I've added to my top 10 list too! :) They wrote great books and I can't wait to read more from them.

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete