Social Icons

5 Dec 2012

RTW - The Editing Way

Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.

This Week's Topic is:
 
For many, December is a post-NaNoWriMo revision haze! How do you approach editing/revising? Any tips or tricks or resources you can share?
 
I'm not diving into revisions straight away.  In preparation I'm writing up all notes I made during NaNo to write more detailed character and plot notes as well as adding in histories and popular culture I mentioned in that world.  That's all being written up neat and into a folder. 
 
I'll edit the way I began to edit for Beast Inside.  I go through each chapter separately for that day and make notes.  Things to add, cut out, grammar or spelling mistakes etc.  Then I'd write that chapter up again by hand with the edits.  It was a nice, organised process for me that I'll continue.  Although this time I may just type the edits up straight onto the computer.  My hand is so not used to writing tons anymore. 
 
I did also like to write up a summary of the new chapter, making notes of what I wanted to see happen.  Not just in events but things like any character development or relationship changes.  For example, I'll make a note of how I want to convey Scott feeling in the chapter after seeing more ghosts or how badly Chelsea is affected by almost getting attacked by one. 
 
I have been interested in trying out Scrivener for editing.  It seems like it organises things really well which definitely sounds like my kind of thing.  Does anyone use it or have tried it? :)

4 comments:

  1. I love the idea of writing up notes. I should borrow that. My notes are currently between a whiteboard and a notebook, and the whiteboard canot come with me :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've gone from handwriting everything and typing up later, to typing everything and making handwritten notes of things like plot lines and characters. But the majority of my work is typed up. I've found it so much easier to edit that way, and I since I'll have to type the manuscript eventually anyway, typing everything saves time in the end.

    I have Scrivener, and I used it for a while, but it doesn't really work for me because it addresses issues I don't have. If you're someone who uses index cards, creates scene charts, and likes to organize research and ideas, then Scrivener would be an excellent tool for you. So, my assessment: great software, but some will find it more useful than others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I like your system. I, for one, don't like editing, so I appreciate any tips and love when other writers share their system so I can try to make mine better ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ^^ Cole, it's handy to take around but when you're not used to writing lots by hand... ouch!

    Thanks for sharing, Colin! It sounds incredibly detailed and organised. Very much my thing! =D

    I love editing, Juliana. It's tedious but the first draft is so terrible that I can't wait to polish it up a little bit!

    ReplyDelete