Social Icons

17 Dec 2012

Christmassy Tales


I love Christmas tales as much as I love Horror fiction. It's magical and fantastical and can bring out the huge kid in me. There are stories that I have to read or watch when Christmas time comes along and these are my top five:

The Snow Queen
One of Andersen's best-beloved tales, The Snow Queen is a story about the strength and endurance of childhood friendship. Gerda searches for her playmate Kay–who was abducted by the Snow Queen and taken to her frozen palace.

The Snow Queen has been one of my favourite tales since I was a child. I've read different versions of it and watched different adaptations all my life and it continues to be a fun yet chilling favourite.  I used to watch on old BBC version from the 1970s.  That one always stuck in my head because their portrayal of the Snow Queen was absolutely creepy and terrifying.  She was just a black face with two wide eyes.  That used to scare the crap out of me! But I still loved it. ^^ 

The Nutcracker
Another favourite of mine. Again I've read different versions and seen different adaptations. My favourite has to be the 1990 animation with Kiefer Sutherland voicing the title character. I especially love the music from The Nutcracker Suite. Very Christmassy.

A Christmas Carol
Cruel miser Ebeneezer Scrooge has never met a shilling he doesn’t like...and hardly a man he does. And he hates Christmas most of all. When Scrooge is visited by his old partner, Jacob Marley, and the ghosts of Christmas Past, Christmas Present, and Christmas Yet to Come, he learns eternal lessons of charity, kindness, and goodwill.

It's shameful but I have not even read A Christmas Carol yet I've probably seen almost every adaptation there is. Every Christmas I have to watch my three favourites: Scrooged, The Muppet Christmas Carol and I really enjoyed A Christmas Carol with Jim Carrey as Ebenezer Scrooge. I love the story and I must get round to reading the book in 2013. Add that to my bookish goals!

Love Actually
One of my favourite Christmas films to watch when I'm wrapping presents or putting up the tree. All these different characters that come together or are connected to each other experiencing all sorts of dilemmas and life changing relationships.
 
 

The Snowman

The Snowman used to make me cry when I was a kid but it still remains a book and adaptation that I have to get out for Christmas, especially now that I work in a school. Got to educate the children on The Snowman! And this Christmas Channel 4 is revisiting The Snowman with a sequel! The Snowman and the Snowdog. Can't wait! =D

 Got any favourite Christmas tales/films? :)

2 comments:

  1. Obviously, the Biblical account has to be my favourite Christmas story. :) But I know what you mean--fictional tales--and I think Dickens's A CHRISTMAS CAROL has to be it. Not only is it a great story, but there are so many lessons to be drawn from it. One that I want my children to consider is this: if you were to die tomorrow, how would people remember you? How do you feel about that, and what are you going to do about it now?

    My favourite adaptation of Dickens's story? The Muppet Christmas Carol. Hands down. No question. A classic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Christmas Carol sends out a good, thoughtful message without being too preachy. And of course it inspired the muppets adaptation. Epic win. I'm currently educating the children in my class on the awesomeness of that film. :)

    ReplyDelete