Social Icons

23 Dec 2012

Christmas RTW


Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.

I'm away for Christmas this week so I'll do the first three RTWs today. :)

Monday, Dec. 24
Best Book Of The Year: Ten by Gretchen McNeil

It was so refreshing to read a slasher/murder mystery and one that was a retelling of an Agatha Christie novel.  Very original for YA and it got me in the mood to see more thrillers in YA.  I love a good murder mystery and especially since it had a slasher edge to it I was hooked from the first page to the last.

Most Unexpectedly Delightful Book Of The Year: The Near Witch by Victoria Schwab

I have to admit I wasn't totally intrigued by the blurb and when the book mentioned a mysterious stranger I assumed that it would turn into a forbidden love.  I always worry that this romantic aspects will take over the book because in the past that's what the romance seems to do.  But The Near Witch took away those doubts and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I was sucked into this almost magical and mystical town of Near where Nature was just as much of a character than Lexi and Cole.  And the tragic story of the Near Witch gave the story a horrific aspect, not just by what she was doing to the town in an act of revenge but the townsfolk who treated outsiders like her and Cole.  The story read like a spooky fairy tale.  Absolutely loved it.

Book I Can't Get Out Of My Mind: Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake

I've been dying to read some good old YA Horror.  It seemed like the cheesy 90s Point Horror had come to an end but Kendare Blake has brought that genre right back on the shelves.  But Anna Dressed in Blood is also nothing like the cheesy 90s horror.  I felt a Supernatural-esque feel to the story, especially in the lives of Cas and his mother.  I love Supernatural so of course I enjoyed this.  Like the television programme the book had a great mix of horror, gore, tragedy, and humour.  And the book introduced me to the next awesome Scooby gang.  I love that little trio of Carmen, Cas, and Thomas - all different personalities merging together to bond and defeat ghosts together.
 
Best "New To Me" YA Author: Gretchen McNeil

I know Ten wasn't Gretchen McNeil's first novel but it was the first novel of hers that I read this year.  And I'm definitely going to be reading more of her work next year.  Possess is on my TBR list!


Tuesday, Dec. 25
Best Sequel: Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Sequels can normally disappoint me but I loved Insurgent.  It followed straight on from the events of Divergent and I loved the fast pace action of the sequel.  I thought it fitted well with the situation and while it confirmed some of my suspicions about Chicago it's left me with so many more questions that I can't wait to find out about in the final book.
Best Debut: Cinder by Marissa Meyer

A sci-fi fairy tale.  How could you not love that mix? Cinderella is now Cinder, a cyborg into a futuristic Beijing and the story of Cinderella basically gets a science fiction retelling.  And that doesn't end there.  Scarlet is coming out in 2013 and will involve a retelling of Red Riding Hood.  All your well-known fairy tale girls are coming together. 
Best Book Cover: A Midsummer's Nightmare by Kody Keplinger

I think it's the colours on this one.  The green and pink really contrast against each other but I love that and it's quite attractive.  I quite like the theme going on with Keplinger's book covers.  It links them up quite well.   
 
Wednesday, Dec. 26
Best "I Want To Go To There" Setting in a Book: Wonderland in The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor
 
This world that Beddor has created for Wonderland has been thought about in great detail.  Wonderland becomes this entire world with cities, shadowy corners of the world, and great Kingdoms.  While I wouldn't want to go anywhere near the area that the jabberwockys live in I'd be quite happy wandering through the city of Wondertropolis.  Incredibly fantastical with the familiar oddity that Carroll introduced us to.

Favorite YA Characters:

Tris (Divergent/Insurgent): A remarkable female heroine who wasn't the strongest to begin with but worked hard to become one of the best Dauntless initiatives.  She didn't magically become a strong fighter.  Tris had to put in the hours to get physically strong.

Nathan (A Midsummer's Nightmare): Nathan is a genuine nice guy.  Finally we have a male LI who isn't a complete jerk.  There are too many Edward Cullens and Jace Waylands out there who are just broody and a complete arse to people.  And finally we have Nathan, a friendly nice guy who cares about people and isn't afraid to show that.  We need more Nathans in YA.  Plus he's a total sci-fi nerd.  Hot! =D

Carmen (Anna Dressed in Blood/Girl of Nightmares): Carmen could have easily fallen into that Queen Bee bitch status.  She was popular and very involved with school and her social life.  But Carmen became more than that.  She was happy befriending Cas and Thomas and working with them to stop Anna and hunt other ghosts as well.  She had one moment of weakness when the stress of it all got to her but in the end she was ready to stick by her LI Thomas and best friend Cas.  She cared about them and she cared about protecting people from these dangerous ghosts.

Gale (The Hunger Games trilogy): I still like Gale.  I thought he was interesting and his character developed well, much better than Katniss' did and I still believe that maybe he would have been better taking the spotlight in Mockingjay.  This dictatorship that President Snow was responsible for has angered him his whole life but when Mockingjay comes around you can see that it's really damaged him mentally and he's full of hatred.  It turns him into quite the active character and he believes that his actions are the right thing to do.  I definitely think he would have made a better narrator than Katniss.  She was fine for The Hunger Games and Catching Fire but by Mockingjay she was so passive that nothing was happening around her narration.  I wanted to see action and the war but that was just in the background. 

Thursday, Dec. 27
 

Best in YA films/television: I'm loving Awkward at the mo for YA television even though the love triangle was really starting to get to me.  But it's quirky with some insane yet loveable characters.  For film Easy A is top of my list.  A sassy heroine who has a quick wit yet makes mistakes and learns from them.  Yes, she brings some of her dilemmas on herself but she's a teenager learning a lesson.  They need to. 

 


Best Music to Write To/Be Inspired By: Since I mainly write horror these are my favourite tunes to listen to:

 
 
 
Friday, Dec. 28

Most Anticipated Book Releases in 2013: The final book of the Divergent trilogy by Veronica Roth and Scarlet by Marissa Meyer.
Most Recommended: Ten by Gretchen McNeil, The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor, The Duff by Kody Keplinger, Divergent by Veronica Roth, Cinder by Marissa Meyer, Trick or Treat by Richie Tankserley Cusick, and Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake.

 

1 comment:

  1. You did it all in one post. Wow. I really want to read TEN. I haven't heard of some of the books you talked about but I'll be sure to check them out. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete