Social Icons

30 Dec 2012

Back in 2012...

Seriously, it's the end of 2012 already?

To sum up: what a great year. :) It's been my most productive year with no studies whatsoever.  My first proper year out of education and into the adult world consisting of early mornings, jobs, and taking those next steps into my teaching career and adult independence. 

I won't do a month by month list of what's happened but here's a list of what made 2012 awesome and productive:

Photo credit
1) Films

Some awesome films came out this year.  The Woman in Black, The Hunger Games, The Avengers, and SkyfallThe Woman in Black and Skyfall were pleasant surprises that I'd only learnt about very late and wanted to see.  I was never a James Bond fan so seeing Skyfall was more of a girlfriend duty to begin with.  I came out of that cinema absolutely hooked and vowing to try out more of Daniel Craig's Bond films.  The Hunger Games had intrigued me since the trailers came out and I finally gave into curiosity and read the book.  Again, hooked and I was eagerly counting the days until The Hunger Games came out in the cinema.  The Avengers was a film that I had been waiting a year for.  Totally worth the wait.  It was by far my favourite film of 2012.  But now I have to wait until 2015 for Avengers 2. =(

... I'll give it my best shot. 

2) Reading

This year I took on two reading challenges and I'm currently on my last book to finish my Off The Shelf challenge.  2012 was an excellent year for reading.  It wasn't just to do with cracking down and getting some of the books I've had on my shelf read but also due to taking part in RTW and TTT where I've been introduced to some amazing books and amazing authors that were either new this year or new to me in general.  If you take a look at my response for YA Highway's Christmas RTW I listed Ten by Gretchen McNeil as my best book of the year.  It was incredibly hard because there were so many amazing books that I read.  But I chose Ten because it was different to what I've read in a while.  It is classed as YA Horror but since it's a retelling of Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None it has strong elements of a murder mystery/thriller which has got me in the mood to seek out more thrillers and see more murder mysteries in YA. 

3) Writing

I took part in WriteOnCon where I gathered some courage and tested out querying for Beast Inside, just to get an idea of how to write one.  Not only did I get a lot of help in writing a querying which benefited my query overall but it also helped me get a better understanding of what the focus of the WiP was.  The conflicts and problems were clearer. 

I also finished another WiP for NaNo 2012 and wrote 50k of another WiP in June that I'm going to finish for another writing challenge: 100k in 100 days

Photo credit
4) Go, Britain, Go!

This year we've had two events that will make history.  First the Queen's Diamond Jubilee marking 60 years of her reign and made work a fun week with Jubilee dinners and celebrations.  Next we had the Olympics and Paralympics where heroes were made out of hard-working athletes, not just from Britain but from every nation that got involved.  We had a pretty rubbish Opening Ceremony to be honest but for our closing ceremony Britain honoured our artists of the past by projecting John Lennon and Freddie Mercury up on screens.  And Britain also had a chance to show the world that we're not entirely hopeless.  We can produce great athletes, even if it's the sitting down sports we're awesome at!

5) Travelling

I got to see some amazing places around England this year, some that inspired settings for WiPs.  Some of my favourite places that I visited:



The Lake District
York
Whitby
Richmond, North Yorkshire

What was your 2012 like? =)

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great 2012. Have an awesome 2013! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had a great 2012!
    Here's to an amazing 2013! ;)

    ReplyDelete