Social Icons

28 Nov 2012

RTW - Book of the Month

Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.

This Week's Topic is:
Best Book of November
 
With NaNo I didn't get through tons of books.  I was quite slow and managed to finish three and have just started a new one which I doubt I'll finish by the end of November.  Those were:
 
Girl of Nightmares by Kendare Blake
A Midsummer's Nightmare by Kody Keplinger
Shut Out by Kody Keplinger
 
And the best book for November...
 
 
 
A fantastic sequel to Anna Dressed in Blood that still leaves a few questions open that I hope the author will continue with in the future but manages to wrap up everything nicely so if Girl of Nightmares is the last Anna book it still finishes the story perfectly.
 
My favourite aspects:
 
1) The mix of characters.  Carmel, Thomas, and Cas were so different.  The Queen Bee, the unpopular Wallflower, and the Loner.  All differing personalities yet together they have formed such a close knit circle and have come to really care for one another and are also ready to stick by each other in dangerous times.  The best group of friends I've seen since the Scooby gang in Buffy.
 
2) The horror is still chilling.  There's a scene with ghosts in a forest who only seem to move once your back is turned.  Reminded me of the Weeping Angels so that had me hiding behind a cushion while I read it.  The Weeping Angels terrified me as statues but ghosts who move like this? *shudders*.
 
3) Jestine.  A fantastic addition to the character list.  She was feisty and brave and I'd love to see more of her journey.  She was an interesting little character and it would be great to see a Jestine spin off.
 
I'll be writing a proper review of this but for now this sums up why I loved this book.  Kendare Blake's got me hooked!
 
What was your favourite book of November? :)



9 comments:

  1. I have ANNA DRESSED IN BLOOD, and it'll probably be on my winter TBR (which I'll be posting on my blog soon). In fact, given that I have three Stephen King novels from my autumn TBR still to read, along with ANNA, my winter TBR list may end up looking like something *you* would put together, Robin! It's going to be a creepy winter for me... :)

    Anyway, I didn't know ANNA was part of a series (though I'm not surprised--most YA novels these days seem to come in trilogies... not a complaint, just an observation... okay, maybe a little bit of a complaint!). If I enjoy ANNA, I'll be sure to add this one to the TBR. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, my horror influence is spreading. That was part of my evil plan, you know. =P

    I don't know if Anna is going to be a trilogy. There's definitely two books at the moment and Girl of Nightmares seemed to wrap everything up. I can't find any info on a possible third.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds intriguing. I'm a wimp and so don't read much horror, but I'll check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved Anna Dressed in Blood - really need to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anna Dressed in Blood sounds like an interesting premise, but is probably too scary for this lightweight! And yes, the weeping angels episode was TERRIFYING.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read ANNA DRESSED IN BLOOD yet but the premise sounds interesting even though I don't usually read horror. Might have to check these out. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't read much horror either, but I've had ANNA DRESSED IN BLOOD on my list. I really need to get my hands on it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Karen, there's a nice balance of horror, romance, and a touch of witty humour from the narrator. It's not all gore and scares so you might enjoy it. :)

    Suzanne, GoN is a fantastic sequel. You'll love it!

    Angelica, have you seen the Snowmen for the Doctor Who Christmas special? Absolutely creepy! They really know how to turn Christmassy things into something scary.

    Erin, it can be quite touching at times. The ghosts are creepy but some are really just victims of a horrible death or murder which turns into something quite tragic. And you end up feeling really sorry for Anna as well when you learn her backstory. Even more so in GoN. The author knows when to back off the horror and focus on other aspects like relationships and Cas' snarky humour to give the reader a break.

    Rachael, it's a great story. I've read reviews where the reader isn't a horror fan but they've enjoyed it nonetheless. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. First of all, LOVE this cover! Second, I keep hearing of Anna Dressed in Blood and the title just draws me in. I might have to add it to my TBR pile. I don't usually read horror but I play games with those elements and watch movies. Here's giving it a shot sometime!

    My favorite book of November was probably Thief of Time - one of the Discworld novels. I can't seem to go wrong with those and I haven't found a YA lately that I've gotten into. Gave up on one recently and need to find another one soon.

    ReplyDelete