Social Icons

3 Oct 2012

RTW - Write for the Season

Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.
 
This Week's Topic is:
October!! It is SO fall! How does your writing (place, time, inspiration, etc) change with the seasons?
 
Normally seasons don't inspire what I write.  When it's summer I'd still write a book that is set during winter.  It's the story that usually chooses the season, not whichever one I'm currently in. 
 
However Halloween is always different.  When Autumn comes and we move from September to October I've really got the motivation to write horror.  Tons of ideas come into my head and I'm more and more inspired to write.  Most of what I watch during the month is a horror film and I have a playlist on repeat with my favourite Halloween tunes. 
 
Christmas is actually my first festive love but I never have the urge to write something set during Christmas.  Maybe it's the folklore surrounding Halloween.  I love folklore and legends so maybe that's the reason for my obsessive horror story plotting.  If there's anything that gives me ideas it's spooky myths. :)
 
Do seasons inspire you?
 
 

7 comments:

  1. I guess that, as a horror writer, this time of the year would be very inspiring to you! Nice!
    To me, it really doesn't matter ... all days are the same ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right now it's 75F (24C) with 97% humidity. Blekkk!! It certainly didn't feel very autumnal as I left the house this morning. *sigh*. But my writing isn't usually affected by the seasons. I work on what I'm working on despite the time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Juliana, it's a perfect time for a horror writer haha. But it's the only time really. It can be Easter or summer and I'll be writing horror. =D Halloween just gets me in the mood for horror even more.

    Colin, I don't envy the temperature where you are lol! I like my colder weather after a warm summer. :) Jumper and scarf weather is always welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good point about the folklore for Halloween as inspiration. I don't write horror, but I do like bits of the supernatural, or gothic stories--and this is the best time of the year for them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Halloween! I'm about to have my first ever Halloween! (We don't really celebrate it in New Zealand, so this Halloween New York better bring it!), in terms of seasons - I really find the fall and winter inspire me, followed by the spring. In the summer I just want to spend the days lying in the sun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel the same way about Christmas: It's my favourite season, and yet for whatever reason I totally avoid writing about it in my stories. Not intentionally, but I just don't seem to touch on it at all. The stories I work on don't necessarily follow the season that I'm currently in, but I do find that that makes it a lot tougher to work on them. Hard to feel inspired to write a summer story by the beach when it's cold and snowy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rebecca, I'm in absolute horror geek mood! All these spooky tales is like a drug for my brain. =D

    Samantha, I'd love to go to America for Halloween! We don't celebrate it much here in England either and I'm always jealous of American neighbourhoods that are covered in Halloween decorations. I want to have that experience. :)

    Jaime, I don't think I've ever wrote a Christmas story or had an idea for one. Strange because I love Christmas stories just as much as Halloween ones. I think Christmas is more my childhood and family holiday. The only thing it does it take me back to childhood and it's more a day of traditions and being with family rather than writing or thinking about writing. :)

    ReplyDelete