Social Icons

10 Oct 2012

RTW - Next Year...

Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.

This Week's Topic is:
What do you hope to be writing in one year? Three? Five?
 
I caved for NaNo this year.  I told myself I wasn't going to bother since I'm currently learning to drive and applying for my PGCE.  But I caved.  I wanted to do it.  And then I had to pick a project.
 
That took me quite a long time seeing as I have four ideas I desperately want to write.  I had no idea which one to pick.  In the end I go for the one I always go for: the one I've spent more time planning.  I know the characters well in this project and I know where I want to go in the first draft. 
 
But next year there'll be Camp NaNo and NaNo.  So hopefully two more of these ideas can be written.  Smiling Jack and a teen cult want to be written.  Next year I hope I can be working on them.
 
And for the next five years? I still hope to have the horror ideas coming and torment even more shiny new victims playthings characters.  Also a fantasy and sci-fi.  I'd like to have a crack at those genres.  :)
 
What do you hope to be writing? Any new genres you'd like to try out in the future? 
 
 

8 comments:

  1. I just officially signed up for NaNoWriMo--this'll be my first year! :D It's a little scary as well as being exciting. As for future projects, I've got ideas for books in notepads, but I don't want to speculate which will see the light of day next, or in five years. If a better idea comes along, that'll be the one that gets attention. As for genre? I don't choose genres. The story chooses the genre for me. :)

    All the best to you with NaNo, Robin! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm gonna be a NaNo rebel this year, as I just started a new WIP and plan to write the final 50k during November.
    I think it's impossible to foresee what we'll be writing in 1, 3 or how many years. Life happens and ideas change ...
    Am I your NaNo buddy? Add me! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many ideas and so little time, right? I feel the same. I have a bunch of story ideas in various states of 'brewing' and just want to jump into all of them at the same time. Highly inadvisable, though. :) Can't wait to hopefully read some of these ideas of yours one day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo Colin you'll love it! It can be a challenge and you're exhausted afterwards but it's so worth it to keep to a schedule and achieve a goal of 50K. It's nice confidence boost. :)

    Juliana, I'm just the obsessive type who always has the next five years planned. Even my WiPs haha! Will do! =D

    Jaime, thank you. I can't wait for that day when somebody thinks my stuff will actually be publishable lol! But yes, not enough time at all when four or five projects are competing for your attention and dedication! SNI syndrome is a bigg issue with me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh... teen cult? That sounds intriguing.

    I tried NaNo last year, but within the first week I ended up with a sudden health issue and had to quit. This year I plan to try again, for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your ideas sound very very intriguing...Teen cult? Has it been done before in books?
    Good luck with NaNo, I won´t be participating but cheering you on :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. AHHH I really want to do NaNo! I'm unable to do it this year but I hope next year I'll have a chance to! All the best for the competition! I look forward to seeing your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Crystal, good luck!

    Elodie, I'll have to research. :) I haven't seen anything lurking on YA shelves at Waterstones but I always like to make sure.

    Thanks, Samantha! Hope you get to participate next year. It's so much fun!

    ReplyDelete