Social Icons

24 Oct 2012

RTW - Book to Film

Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic. 
 
This Week's Topic is:

It isn't surprising that this month's Bookmobile selection, Leigh Bardugo's Shadow and Bone, has sold film rights; the darkly magical world of the Shadow Fold begs for an on-screen translation! But that got us wondering. We'd like to know, in your opinion, what is it that makes some books seem ideal for a film translation?

There's nothing set in stone for me when it comes to book adaptations.  I seem to want books to become films for different reasons so it's changes with each amazing book I read.  I might want to see a film translation because of the characters, the plot, the setting, or the world building.  Here's a few that I'd desperately love to see be adapted and my reasons:

1) Carpe Jugulum - Terry Pratchett (Discworld series)
I would love to see vampire parodying.  A new family come to Lancre to take over and they're quite the modern vampire.  Out with sleeping in coffins and dirt and hello posh, aristocratic living.  They enjoy garlic and holy water because those weaknesses are SO last century and refer to folkloric vampires as old school.  I think the comedy would translate well on screen.  And I'd get to see Nanny Ogg, Granny Weatherwax and Agnes Nitt come to life.  Can anyone else see Helen Mirren or Maggie Smith as Granny Weatherwax.  So perfect for the role.  These are characters who are begging to come to life.

2) Ten - Gretchen McNeil
The tension in this teen thriller would be perfect to see on the big screen.  Since it's all in Meg's POV we don't really see any of the deaths until the body is discovered and for a film I think it would be great to add in the famous slasher POV.  There are tons of eerie island locations that would be perfect to depict the spooky and deserted Henry Island.  Film could do with a good modern day slasher flick.

3) The Looking Glass Wars - Frank Beddor
It's such a vivid nonsensical world that I'd love to see with my own eyes through a director's interpretation.  I want to see Wondertropolis and the terrifying Jabberwock.  It'd be interesting to see how different yet similar Beddor's characters are to their ridiculous alter-egos from Carroll's book. 

What books do you think would be ideal?

4 comments:

  1. Oooh The Looking Glass Wars - I'd LOVE to see that one made into a film! For sure! And Ten could be interesting too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read CARPE JUGULUM yet--I'll get to it eventually. I did see the TV adaptation of THE COLOUR OF MAGIC, and while it was fun, it wasn't nearly as good as the book. Somehow it missed something. Perhaps it just wasn't the right Discworld book for movie adaptation. Or maybe the director's vision for it wasn't what it could have been. I don't know. MORT might be fun to do, perhaps animated. That's my favourite of the series so far. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read any of these but have TEN on my tbr pile. A great slasher flick you be fun (in a scary kind of way).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to see THE NIGHT CIRCUS turned into a movie. I think if it was done well they'd win all kinds of awards for cinematography and so on. It was just such a visual experience for me reading that book. :)

    ReplyDelete