Social Icons

29 Oct 2012

Alternatives

While I love Halloween I need to have a bit of a change either during and straight after.  Once the day is over I'm mostly focusing on my favourite holiday coming up... Christmas! Honestly, you think I'm nuts over Halloween? Wait till you see me at Christmas.

I love watching scary films.  I love reading about them and this year I've read some amazing Halloween-tastic books.  Horror definitely seems to be coming back to YA.  But I can also get a little weary watching it and seeing hardly anyone get a nice, happy ending.  Because that hardly ever happens in horror.  It's a very unforgiving genre. 

My alternative... lots of contemporary and comedy.  After reading and watching anything that has supernatural horror aspects and seeing serial killer after serial killer target innocent people I definitely need a book or a film that just has real life in it.  Ordinary people dealing with ordinary issues.  If it's comical, it's even better.  I like a good giggle after seeing too many sad endings.

When I decided on my Autumn TBR I was tempted to try and get as many horror books in as possible.  I still have a few to get through but after reading four horrors in a row lately I'm glad I added in books from other genres that'll give me a break for a bit.

So after Halloween I can't wait to get my claws into these books:

 
1) Wanderlove - Kristen Hubbard
This was supposed to be my summer read but I didn't get very far in my Summer TBR list.  But I think November may be a perfect time to chill out with a contemporary like this.  No supernatural, no serial killers. 

2) The Iron King - Julie Kagawa
It sounds like a lovely fantasy and I've been craving the genre recently. 


3) Seeing Redd - Frank Beddor
I adored The Looking Glass Wars and I definitely need to take the time to read the sequel this Autumn. 

4) Shut Out - Kody Keplinger
I loved The Duff and definitely want to read more from Keplinger.  I'm also quite intrigued by the same setting.  I see that Hamilton High is the location for all three novels she has out so far.  I do like it when authors give their own characters and settings cameos.

What would you turn to if you're a bit tired of Halloween and Horror?

3 comments:

  1. I loved The Duff too! Can't wait to get my hand on more of Kody Keplinger's books! Hope you enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha I'm nuts about Christmas as well! Can't wait! I have Wanderlove waiting to be read so that's definitely on my list! I also want to finally read the Fault in Our Stars and Please Ignore Vera Dietz

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved both WANDERLOVE and THE IRON KING. I still have a couple books in the latter series to get caught up on. It's a good series. :) I know what you mean about needing to mix things up a little after reading horror. I'm not a horror reader, but I often feel this way after reading a book that deals with death. I know I'm going to need something more upbeat after reading THE FAULT IN OUR STARS and THE BOOK THIEF.

    ReplyDelete