Social Icons

25 Sep 2012

TTT - Top Ten Series That I Haven't Finished

For this week's Top Ten Tuesday we've been asked to list:
 
The Top Ten Book Series That I Haven't Finished
 
 
1) Harry Potter (JK Rowling)
 
I know, I know, how could I? I do like the series in some ways.  I think the world is fantastic and creative and JK Rowling knew where she wanted to go in the series.  I can't stand when writers don't plan ahead and just make stuff up on the spot and JK Rowling has proved that she thought an awful lot about what was going to happen and how the little things were going to be an important aspect to the finale.  I enjoy the films even though the acting can be terrible.  But one thing that put me off the series was the writing.  JK Rowling is a great storyteller but she's not my favourite writer and as the books went along and became longer the more waffle I felt I had to trudge through at times and by the seventh book I felt incredibly lazy and wanted to wait for the films. 
 
I feel like I should have a go.  Even though I'm not the biggest or greatest fan that was still my childhood in the end and I grew up alongside the characters.  It was the end of an era when the series finished and I'd like to give the Deathly Hallows a go at some point.
 
2) The Mortal Instruments (Cassandra Clare)
 
I've made it to as far as book 3 and I'm questioning whether to continue or not.  I read books 1 and 2 back to back a few years ago and stopped because I really had issues with it.  But with the film starting to develop and the series continuing I wanted to give it another shot.  City of Glass wasn't the best read of 2012 and I'm undecided about continuing.  But for now The Mortal Instruments remains unfinished.
 
3) A Series of Unfortunate Events ( Lemony Snicket)
 
I loved this series when I was in my teens and even enjoyed the film adaptation.  But I stopped and I don't know why.  I think other books came out that I was desperate to read and focused more on them so A Series of Unfortunate Events was put to the back.  Must finish it in the future.

 

 
4) The Demonata (Darren Shan)
 
Again, how could I? Darren Shan became my hero when he worked on The Saga of Darren Shan.  But I think I had high expectations after TSODS and so when I came to read The Demonata it didn't feel the same and I wasn't as hooked as I was with his first series so when the new books started coming out I didn't pick them up.  Shame on me.
5) Vampirates (Justin Somper)
 
I think discontinuing this series was probably due to the fact that I was getting older.  The main characters were 14 and I was slowly moving away from that age.  Characters that young didn't interest me anymore so I stepped aside.  Do I have any interest in reading them again? Probably not.  I felt too old for 14 year characters when I was 17 so at 23 I'll really feel too old for them now.
 
6) Twilight (Stephenie Meyer)
 
I actually did get as far as Breaking Dawn.  But I think the minute Bella found out she was having freaky spawn and Jacob imprinted on it I had to chuck it because I felt my brain was dribbling out of my ears.  The first three books were terrible IMO.  I didn't like them and I wasn't part of the target audience but Breaking Dawn seriously had me ranting and raving like something demented.  I just couldn't take it so I didn't finish the book and made sure it was well away from me.  Would I try again? Dear God, no.  It's not for an old fashioned vampire fan like me.  I just like them mean, evil, and creepy.
 
7) The Vampire Diaries (LJ Smith)
 
Technically I did finish the series.  When it was just four.  But since broody vampires  have been in demand and TVD became a TV series more have been written.  Judging from the plots and where the story is going it's starting to sound a bit ridiculous to me and Elena is becoming way too much of a special snowflake.  TVD wasn't my favourite series from LJ Smith.  She isn't the best but I did enjoy reading The Forbidden Game.  However I don't think I'd enjoy where TVD is going as a book series.  I'll leave it at four.
8) The Chronicles of Narnia (CS Lewis)
 
I've only read The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe.  You have no idea how ashamed I feel but trust me that will change in the future.  I will read the whole series.
 
9) Discworld (Terry Pratchett)
 
There are so many Discworld books that I have yet to read and hopefully lots more in the future.  So I can take my time with this series.  But I will have them on my TBR list because I enjoy them so much.  No-one else has me in giggles so much.
 
10) Wicked Lovely (Melissa Marr)
 
I only read the first book but it wasn't enough to interest me.  Nice little romantic twist in the end but Wicked Lovely wasn't a series that I wanted to continue.
 
 


8 comments:

  1. I was 25 or 26 when I first read NARNIA. I knew the basic idea of the story, but had never read the books. My wife gave me the set for my birthday, so I set about reading them. I got through one a day over the space of a week. And I really enjoyed them. Lewis writes as if to children in the 1950s, but the world, the characters, and his beautiful narrative completely suck you in. It did me, anyway!

    As for Potter... I re-read the books around the beginning of the year, and I definitely agree that from book 5 on, the editing kind of falls apart. There's stuff in those books that doesn't need to be there, but that fans of the world lap up. But her storytelling helps you forgive a lot of it. For as much of book 7 the movies managed to include, there's still a lot they cut, so for that reason--and the sense of completion and not to be shunned by your peers ;)--you should probably read it sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never read the last Harry Potter book. Whoops! And out of the other series you mention, the only other one I've attempted is Narnia as a child and I only got as far as The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. They just weren't my thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love A Series of Unfornate Events but I haven't finished the series yet either. I agree with you about Wicked Lovely it was good but doesn't really compel you to read past the first book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did finish the Harry Potter series, and I finished the twilight series though I didn't like it it was like a car accident - it was awful but I couldn't look away.
    I have the first 3 Mortal Instrument books here but haven't even started them!

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeez, I forgot to add Narnia and LotR to my list. And The Vampire Diaries too, but the only one missing is the last one (released last year, I think?). I was just tired of the same argument and didn't like how the previous one ended ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Mortal Instruments was great through the first 3 books. Because it was supposed to be a trilogy!! I was annoyed that she decided to drag more out of her poor characters. Book 4 was ok, but I have to confess, she won me back with the latest book. It was really good and I am now totally sucked back in. Also, I like her Infernal Devices series much better! Here is my list http://wp.me/pzUn5-1dc

    ReplyDelete
  7. Colin, it's definately a book I need to attempt and read, just to finish Harry Potter. It still feels like I've committed a reading crime by not reading it haha.

    Cole, glad I'm not the only one. All my friends were reading the last book and I was the only one who had passed on it. I felt like the only one in the world who had ignored it!

    lillylilac, my feelings exactly. Nice read but wasn't interested in any further stories. I know Melissa Marr has another FMC who was the best friend of Aislin in the first. But she wasn't a character who interested me much in the first book so I wasn't bothered about reading her story.

    Sabina, perfect way to describe reading Twilight! I disliked them but I still had to keep reading. I think part of me hoped that the writing would get better as Meyer learnt more about the craft. Disappointed in the end.

    Juliana, it's a series I probably won't continue. The plot doesn't interest me at all. I thought it would have been perfectly fine at just three books even. The story was nicely wrapped up but LJ Smith couldn't leave it alone. *Le sigh*

    rockyriverteenlibrarian, I don't see why authors drag out their series. While I didn't like the original three books it ended just fine. Some writers need to know when to stop.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have read all of the Harry Potter books but I read them as quickly as possible because I agree with you on her writing style--far too long and, dare I say, boring? And Breaking Dawn...well, I finished it, but only because it was nuts and I wanted to get through it!

    ReplyDelete