Social Icons

18 Sep 2012

TTT - People I'd Love to Meet

Ten probably isn't enough for this week's Top Ten Tuesday.  This week The Broke and The Bookish want to know:
 
Top Ten Bookish People You Want To Meet (Authors, Bloggers, etc.)
In the blogging community I'd love to meet all my blogging friends (Cole, Emma, LauraElodie, Colin, Juliana, Jaime, etc). Who I have great discussions with on books, writing, advice and gave me some fantastic insight into my query on WriteOnCon this August.  And just with these awesome people I've probably got a list of more than ten there. 
 
For authors:
 
1) Stephen King
 
Who doesn't want to meet the King of Horror? If I needed to turn to anyone on writing horror and advice on the genre Stephen King would be the guy I'd go to. 
 
2) Darren Shan
 
I'd love to meet Darren Shan purely because he got me into writing horror in my teens.  He's my horror idol and published an amazing series (The Sage of Darren Shan) that furthered my interest in vampires and brought a lot of gruesome entertainment into my life.
 
3) Veronica Roth
 
This year I've never fangirled as much.  First The Hunger Games which I adored but was disappointed by after the final book.  And then I finally picked up Divergent and Insurgent and I went insane over it.  I absolutely loved it.  I haven't loved anything like this since I first watched The Lost Boys and I devoured Divergent and Insurgent back to back in the space of a week.  And I squeed when I heard a date for the film had been set.  I plan on re-reading both in time for the third book to come out.
 
4) Bram Stoker
 
Now I know this will never happen but if time travel was finally made possible I'd be in there travelling back to the 1800s and tracking Stoker down.  Anyone who wants to write about vampires HAS to read Dracula
 
5) Terry Pratchett
 
Idol to anyone who wants to write fantasy, especially fantasy with a comical side to it.  I love parodies and Terry Pratchett has me giggling away when I read his books but also has me fascinated by how he takes folklores to create his own twist to well-known mythical creatures and supernatural species like fairies, witches, vampires etc.
 
6) Neil Gaiman
 
Even though I wasn't a fan of Stardust I loved The Graveyard Book and his Doctor Who episode.  I plan on reading more of his work in the future and he's another author I'd turn to and talk fantasy/sci-fi writing with.
 
7) Kendare Blake
 
I'm over half way in pages in with Anna Dressed in Blood but I'm absolutely loving it.  Finally! Some good, creepy YA Horror and I'd love to meet Kendare Blake just to bow down and say 'thank you' for putting some horror on the YA shelves.  This is the sort of thing we need a lot more of.
 
8) R.L Stine
 
I had such a huge Goosebumps collection when I was younger and I owned a few Fear Street books as well.  While Darren Shan ruled my teenage years, Stine ruled my childhood and I would devour a new Goosebumps book each week while watching the television series practically on repeat. 
 
9) Joss Whedon
 
I know he's not a book author exactly but Joss Whedon has become an idol of mine.  I love his writing and his work.  Buffy, Dr Horrible, Firely, Serenity, Avengers Assemble, The Cabin in the Woods... all brilliant and he's a very bloodthirsty writer.  No character is safe from him and he's prepared to torture, damage, and destroy.  One of his recent films The Cabin in the Woods was pure genius and a great, fresh (and slightly satirical) take on the horror genre.
 
10) Tim Burton
 
Yep, I'm also a Tim Burton fan.  Not so much his take on other people's work but I love it when it's entirely his creation (The Nightmare Before Christmas, Edward Scissorhands).  I love the atmosphere of his films.  So creepy and eccentric. 

11 comments:

  1. Would love to meet you too!!! And we could totally discuss Joss Whedon, Tim Burton, Stephen King, Veronica Roth and Bram Stoker...
    That or could you invite me to that dinner party? All those people in one place would be AMAZING :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha wouldn't it? =D I wouldn't be able to speak if all my favourite writers were in the same place at once! Squealing and lots of 'OMG OMG' would occur. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. And it's for the wonderful authors I meet that I am so looking forward to the Texas Book Festival in October! Can't wait.

    Here's my Top Ten Bookish People I Want to Meet. I hope you will stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It'd be such fun if we could all meet up! Though I think we'd sub-group off into a Doctor Who discussion group... it happens! :)

    I would like to meet Veronica Roth, too--if only to be able to tell her to her face how much I'm enjoying her work. Yes, I can comment on her blog, or send her an email... but there's something about seeing excitement in someone's eyes that doesn't communicate any other way than in person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to meet Kendare Blake and Veronica Roth!
    Here's my Top Ten.
    Ashley
    #BookNerd

    ReplyDelete
  6. Veronica is fun to meet. Great list! Bram is a real good choice!

    OUaT's TTT

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your list!! R.L. Stine played a huge role in my childhood reading. Tim Burton is amazing, too. I wish I had thought of him for my list.

    My Top Ten.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE the series by Darren Shan, and the fact that he....well, he's kind of the main character, isn;t he? Which makes it easy to believe that the series is...autobiographical. :D i have to admit, I didn't start reading the series until after I saw the movie (and then realized they took the plot from the second book for it...), but I'm glad I did, because the books are...excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great list! Stephen King would be especially cool to meet. And you're on my list of blogger friends I'd like to meet too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. *waves* I would love to meet you too!
    I put Joss Whedon on my list too hihi
    Awesome list!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tim Burton!! Can you imagine how amazing it must be to work with someone as creative as that man?! I would DIE!

    ReplyDelete